THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    RCBS Chargemaster starting to get zero drift, suggestions?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Chargemaster starting to get zero drift, suggestions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have an RCBS Chargemaster powder dispenser/electronic scale combo that I have happily used for several years. It has always given me great results but last week I staretd experiencing zero drift. I am talking about ~.3 grains after just about every charge thrown. I re-zero it and weigh the charge again and it comes within a tenth or two of the target weight. I no longer have a balance beam scale with which to double check things.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there some outside interference than can be causing it? Anything I can do to remedy it? I need to load ammo tomorrow so I can go on a trip the day after. Any suggestions or experiences are greatly appreicated!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you have flourescent lighting in your loading area? That cn affect an electrinic cale or powder measure.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you have flourescent lighting in your loading area?

Marc,

Yes, take a gander around the area where you are loading. Actually many common household appliances can disturb an electronic scale; such as too many electrical cables bundled together nearby, Flourescent Lighting, a Fuse Box, Washer, Dryer, Refrigerator, etc.

ALSO stable temperature and the slightest of drafts.

PLUS check the base of the Scale, powder granules under the feet, hard or soft surfaces.

I ended up putting a laminated foam rubber placemat under mine as vibrations through the dense bench top (a solid wooden 2" thick desk top) picked up every vibration from the loading bench - including me operating the Press Ram.

Good Luck

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see....worked fine for "several years" but now it's flaky?

There's a reason digital gimmicks have a two year warrantee. Sorry.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Read the Lyman FAQs for the DPS 1200 for help with your Chargemaster, I'm betting static charge build up is the problem.

3. Occasionally wipe the unit’s exterior and over the scale platform with a used non static dryer sheet such as a Bounce or ClingFree to inhibit static electricity.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/l.../scales-measures.php

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tried an "all of the above" approach and the machine worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!

I think the main thing is a static problem. I am in northern MN where it gets very cold and dry, causing even rubber to develop a serious static charge. When I was getting the last of the powder out of the machine I dumped it into a plastic container. When pouring back in the powder can I saw that a very large number of pieces of powder were stuck to the bottom and sides of the plastic container. I shook the container and the kernels of powder would move around, but they would not let go of the plastic. Looked sort of cool, actually

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest contacting RCBS no matter how long you've owned the Chargemaster. I had multiple problems with mine but RCBS was always good about fixing and now it's been a year or so and it's working fine.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sending my 3rd chargemaster back to rcbs,but this time it's $45.00 to replace it!This time 2,5,9 on the dispenser won't work and zero on the scale does not work,when you hit zero it tries to calibrate.I do like the rcbs chargemaster 1500 the best,i had a lyman before and the rcbs is faster and I don't have to leave it on a half hour before i use it.The service dept at rcbs said they are having their keyboards made by another manufacturer.I hope this one lasts longer than 2 years!The first one was 10 months.

Posts: 94 | Location: Orwell,New York | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I read that you have it working. That's good. I was going to ask if you have put a cordless phone near your scale or started carrying your cell phone near your scale. Both have been known to interfer with scales. I've also read about a loader with a microwave on the other side of the wall and it interfers with his scale when it is cooking. Also, having your computer and scale too close may cause a problem.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had one since they came out in the Houston Area.

Never see your issue... and I use check weights every time.

They work...

I would call RCBS and ask them this question.

I bet they will have an answer or fix it

T (soon to be Snake)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm on my 4th ChargeMaster, but am absolutely satisfied with RCBS Customer Service who replaced the previous three units. One of my ChargeMasters also lost the middle row of keys, but RCBS replaced the unit and the replacement is working correctly. It was a pain not being able to set a 25.0-grain charge.

I've also learned that the ChargeMaster does not like cold temps, and works much better in a warm room vice an unheated garage.

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote