New
Find
Notify
Tools

44 mag loads and w296
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi just wanted yo know what do you think of this power in a magnum load ?
What have you gotten out of it in accuracy and performance . what was the loads that worked for you ? I'm still working on these loads not done yet. this is it: COL was 1.580 and gos like this.
Westcoast plated bullets 240gr. fp.
winchester 296 power.

23.8gr. 296/WLP/win. cases = 1 1/4" @ 25 yards.
And
23.6gr. 296/WLP/win. cases = 1 7/8 @ 25 yards.

tested with a Taurus Raging Bull 444 44mag.
with a 6 1/2" barrel .shots taken was open sights. But if you look at it my way its a 5 1/2" barrel with the expansion chamber. But i like it.
But not done yet .Still working up these two loads. After i get done with these two i will load up the Speer 270gr. gdsp. And the w296

one shot kills when you hit the mark-----> (+)

Idaho Bob

Posts: 41 | Location: Idaho USA | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good results with 296; however, when fired in my Ruger Deerslayer, it leaves a lot of powder residue in the action. Really messy! In pistols, this is not particularly a problem. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
They are almost the same, but you can also try H110. Works great for my carbine and heavy loads.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Completely agree with the above. I've found WW296 and H110 to be vey much alike. Also used a bunch of good old "2400".

Just a reminder that a bullet which fits "snug" in the expanded case and that has a stout roll crimp(just short of collapsing the case) helps reduce the residue.

Too much of the old powders onhand to go try some of the newer ones. But, a clean burning powder for Magnum Revolver cartridges sure would be a pleasure to work with.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I've discovered that W296 abd H110 are the SAME powder. There are made in the same plant and differ only in packaging. The differences can be attributable , usually to the differences between lots.

However, I do not load them interchangeably (though some do). I did a study of data from various loading manuals and found that there was usually not over 4% difference in max charges or velocities (when the manual mentions both powders) but sometiimes there is as much as 34% difference.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ku-dude/NBHunter--

I'm currently working up loads for a Ruger carbine. Have you found any that you would particularly recommend?

Thanks.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H110 and 296 are identical. The data is completely interchangeable. The two best loads I have found are below. I don't use any powder other than these when looking for magnum velocities.

Any good 240 Gr. bullet - 24.7 gr. of 296/H110
Any good LBT style .300 Gr. cast Bullet - 21.5Gr. of 296/H110.

Both of these loads are near max. in my Ruger SRH and shoot superb.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've gotten good accuracy and point of impact compatability with Speer factory 270 GD loads using these bullets over 21 grains of Winchester 296. I have found this to be a dirty combustion powder, but nothing causing any problems in my Deerfield or Winchester 94 Trapper.

posted Hide Post
Hey bullseye44
Those loads must be seriously hot [Mad] . I Have a Taurus Raging Bull model 444, 44 mag with an 8 3/8" barrel. Check this load and chono data.

240 Gr, Sierra JHP, W296- 22.5 gr, WLP, Starline, COl 1.6

Ave. FPS/ 1410

Same load thru a Desert Eagle, 6" barrel clocked,
Ave. FPS/ 1250

I don't know if I could hang on with your load in my RB 44 mag, Ha! Ha!. It would probably be pushing 1600 FPS thru mine. It's true that every gun is different, thats why you don't start at max loads.

Just thought you might be interested.

Gringo Hunter

Posts: 8 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote