Find
Notify
Tools

Re-sizing Problem
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dear All,

I have recently traded a Tikka All Weather in 7mm Rem Mag for a Remington SPS SS in the same calibre.

I was hoping to use the brass from my Tikka in my new Remington. However, despite full length re-sizing with RCBS dies the cases are proving difficult to chamber in my new rifle. Is it posible that the chamber dimensions between the two rifles can be so different that the dies cannot re-size to the tolerance required?

I have stripped down the dies and cleaned them before re-setting them as normal in accordance with the RCBS instructions but it hasn't made any difference. The brass I'm using is of Norma manufacture with a Weatherby headstamp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Posts: 89 | Location: Nantwich, England | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim, I had the same problem recently with a new Kimber 8400 in .300 WSM. Brass resized with my RCBS dies would not chamber in the Kimber, but would easily in my Browning of the same caliber. I bought a set of Hornady dies to try and they work fine. I would guess the dies are of just slightly different size. I should mention that I used the same (RCBS) shellholder with both sets of dies....

MKane160

You can always make more money, you can never make more time...........LLYWD. Have you signed your donor card yet?

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tim, With no die in the Press, clean the spot where the Die screws in. I use a brass brush, but keep this area clean however you choose.

1. Be sure to trim the cases.

2. Next up, put the Shell Holder in the Press and raise the ram.
3. Screw in the Full Length Die until it is tightly against the Shell Holder. Make sure the Lock Ring is not keeping you from screwing it in all the way.
4. Lower the ram.
5. Screw the Full Length Die into the press another 1/4th turn and set the Lock Ring.
6. Lube and resize a case.
7. Wipe the lube off and try the empty case in your rifle.

If it fits, the problem is solved, or you have a problem when Seating bullets.

If it does not fit, remove the Shell Holder from the press and measure the overall height with a pair of calipers and record that number.

Put it back in the press and with a flat file, take a few thousandths off the top of the Shell Holder. That should fix it.

Are you using an RCBS Shell Holder with the RCBS Dies?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Headspace!

You have fallen victim to the new short headspace disease.

Trim the top of your shellholder or the bottom of your FL die and repeat.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph Hyrlik:
Headspace!

You have fallen victim to the new short headspace disease.

Trim the top of your shellholder or the bottom of your FL die and repeat.

Or purchase a set of Redding competition shell holders. They come in varying heights of 0.002" increments that allow you to set your head space to match your chamber.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Do you have a set? I was told they can only be used to decrease headspace, not the other way around. It is alleged the smallest size is the same as a standard RCBS shelholder. The subsequent sizes only get thicker.