Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice
 Login/Join

posted
I have a CZ 527 American that I been shooting factory loads in and have decided to take the plung and get into reloading. I am new to reloading and have no equipment . I would like some advice on what to buy. I am starting from scratch so any advice you all can give is much appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll need to start with a reloading manual. Speer makes a good one and it is pretty inexpensive. All the manuals will have the same basic procedural info, some just have more reloading data. Study the manual for a couple of days, then buy a kit.

The kit should contain a single stage press. Single stage presses are easier to learn with and you will always have a need for a single stage press. Eventually you may want to add a turret press or other type of progressive press but you'll still need a single stage press for more tedious jobs.

I bought the Lee Aniversary Kit. It contains everthing you need except the specific dies that you will need. Many people dislike Lee because it is cheaper made. That being said, I have loaded thousands of rounds with mine without much problems. RCBS makes a more popular kit if you don't mind spending a little extra. Come to think of it, I would have just spent the extra money on RCBS if I had known how much I would enjoy reloading.

There are several good online distributers for all of your reloading needs. Midway USA comes to mind.

Good luck and enjoy!

Posts: 336 | Location: Alabama, U.S.A. | Registered: 19 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1- Get a manual. Preferably from the company that makes the bullets your going to be using. Take it home and study it before going any further.
2- RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit (LEE's press & kit works, but I personaly prefer RCBS tools.
3- RCBS or LEE dies for the cartridge your going to reload (be sure to get a shellholder also)
4- LEE hand primer (and the shellholder it uses for your cartridge)
5- Bullets, primers, and powder type according to the manual in step one (one of the reasons it's at the top of the list).
6- Start a Notebook
7- Begin loading, start at the low end of the recogmended powder charge range, and work up (5 rounds each) in 1/2 grain increments. Keep track of the loads in your notebook.
8-Take your new loads to the range and bench them at a target, keeping track in your notebook of any problems and group sizes along with the load data for that group (5 years from now you won't remember why you did or didn't like that load).
9- welcome to one of the most addicting hobbies you can find.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Back when bullets were stone and we used catapults............
My first loading manual was from Lyman. They had lots of pictures and had a pretty thorough write up on what the whole process was about.
I've not found many of the Lee products to be of much use. Lee has some great ideas but the quality of product is totally lacking.
RCBS makes a good beginners kit, I'm sure Hornady does the same.
If you think this will be a hobby, I shoot so that I can reload and cast bullets, that you will continue with, save some money up front and get a CO-Ax or Redding press and dies.
Reloading equipment is like optics and rifles you get exactly what you pay for.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bevo:
I have a CZ 527 American that I been shooting factory loads in and have decided to take the plung and get into reloading. I am new to reloading and have no equipment . I would like some advice on what to buy. I am starting from scratch so any advice you all can give is much appreciated. Thanks

....I agree with the other posters....get a good manual...or TWO of them and read the intro to reloading in the manuals....a starter kit by RCBS is always a good start...you may want to add different speciality items later but a good single stage press of quality is never a bad choice....for more money the Redding is also a great choice as is Forster....but the RCBS is the standard by which most others are measured and for money vs results they are fantastic....go with the Rockchucker-supreme kit vs the partner or reloader special kits as they usually are outgrown if you stick with it but the Rockchucker is a great heavy duty single stage that will always be useful....I've still got mine along with another single stage,turret press, two progressive setups and hand dies!!!after you get going you might want a case trimmer..either bench mount or simple hand type by Lee....some other companies make a few items that "set the standard" for that tool but any of the RCBS.Redding,Forster products are quality......enjoy the new hobby which might become an obsestion? I suffer with a smile on my face and itty bitty groups on the paper..lol...good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
All good advice. Might I suggest you sign up for the NRA's Basic Metalic and or Shotshell Reloading course. You can contact the NRA Education Dept for an instructor / course near you. You can get some hands on time on the equipment used in the course and some good pointers from the instructor. It will make the choices as noted above easier and get you off to a good start. I do them in my area and find its a big help in getting new shooters into reloading. The course materials are first rate too.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote