Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
quote:
Precision steel calipers are generally considered accurate to +/- one thou tools but most are half that, or better.

Eeker TRUE
old BUT popcorn
FG,
It depends on technique (skill) and what you are measuring.
TRUE
JMHO and what I believe can be achieved using known dia. drill blanks and Jo- blocks, a good dial caliper can yield accuracy at + or- .0005". For the average reloader this should be totally adequate. Digitals and verniers are "somewhat" different.
beerroger

Roger,
You hit the nail on the head. For COMPARATIVE measurement you can get more accuracy. So if you wring a set of gage blocks together for the length that you want and measure that with a caliper then measure the part you are working on you can get much higher accuracy.
And you are right, technique and practice play a hugh role, especially with a caliper. But anyone who thinks they can get less than .001 accuracy out of a caliper is fooling themselves.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
never thought this would go 2 pages

I read something about a "gauge block", do I need one of these or can I use my feeler gauge in my garage?

thanks

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
I have a very high qaulity one, but for reloading I never used it...

The "Meßschieber" is good enough for reloading!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote