New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee collet necksizer for 280 ackley?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Will the standard 280 rem lee collet neck die work for a 280 ackley?
Thanks
Elmer

One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Yes

Copied from the Lee website under FAQ/Die and die questions/Ackley Improved

quote:
The standard Collet die for the parent cartridge should work, provided that the base to neck/shoulder intersection dimension has not changed. Most Ackley Imp. cartridges have less body taper, and a steeper shoulder angle, but the distance from the base of the case to the neck/shoulder intersection is not changed. There is enough clearance in the collet to accommodate the improved cartridge.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
they works with my 257 AI

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just found that the standard 6mm Remington collet die works fine with the AI version. So my guess is "yes".

On the other hand, I had to drill out the shoulder area of a .22 Hornet collet die in order for it to accept the K-Hornet case; however, the K-Hornet's shoulder is a more radical departure from the original case shoulder than the AI is from it's parent's.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a .280 Rem Collet die to neck size my .280 AI brass. Seems to work fine.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote