THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Any favorite loads for the .358 win?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My blr load is 53 grns of 748 and .250 speer for of my 20" bbl.(this was from a barnes manual) and I coronographed it. 55 grns gives a .225 2460. a 22" bbl wil give you about 60fps more.
In the field I've shot 19 blackbear with the .250 speer and one with the .250 hornady the hornady is a little softer but does the job fine. I've never had to track a bear shot with the .358 As to the 200 grn hornady expect 2550 + with 47 grns of imr 3031 I've only shot a few deer with it but results were excellent. IMHO the .225 bullets are the best for the .358 but I keep using the .250 speer for bear as I've had such good luvck with it.

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
In the days before I found the Sako .308 I used a Ruger 77 in .358 for a good number of my formative years... My favorite load was 45 grains of H335 behind the Hornady round nose 250 grain, Winchester brass and CCI 200 or 250's in the extreme cold. It was totally awesome to see the difference in striking energy on whitetails and black bear when compared to narrower bores. I have learned from this that there is no substitute for caliber when getting down to business. I would try most any of the newer powders that offer the same approximate burning rae as the blast with H335 was a bit much on occasion. Accuracy was sub MOA from three rifles which I have worked with using this load. It is maximum so work up according to standard professional guidelines please.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
OK, Got some good advise and some very useful reloading tables...thx much guys.
My Sako .358 is mainly an elk rifle. It will see some use on blacktail and mule deer as well, but mostly elk. I think that I'll start with the 200gr Hornaday as a practice and deer bullet..lighter recoil and cheaper componets. The Nosler will most likely get the nod for everything else. I've got win 748 on hand so that will be my starter powder and I'll go from there.
It's fun to take that rifle to the range. It gets a lot of looks because it's rare and different looking, but when we start to shoot it the people really take notice. It has a throaty roar to it and makes powder out of rocks when it hits. Our range tops out at 280+ yds from the bench and we always take some time to spot baseball size rocks on that back wall and call our shots. It's a good confidence builder and the magnum boys get real quiet. Thx again, Blacktail53

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my Rem 700 with a Douglas barrel, my favorite load was 49 gr of AA 2520, a Fed 215 primer, and a 250 gr bullet.

Posts: 3993 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote