New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Yea me again guys and gals. I have and do use standard primers with light and std loads, also magnum primers with magnum loads or whatever the reloading book says. My question is can magnum primers be used with all and any load with the only difference being spending a few more buck for the primers?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No
If you have a fairly warm load with standard primers and then use a mag primer the pressure will go up and may go up too much.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would certainly want to run tests before making a change. Velocity and pressure are almost certainly different using magnum primers and accuracy may way be affected either way. Back off your powder charge a bit, work up and see what you get.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
If you work up the load with them you'll okay but you may see a change in group size or point of impact. They are not interchangeable with out working up. Usually magnum with ball powder, I don't load anything that needs one full time.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might be just me but I would be concerned that the initial fireing impluse, if you will, would move the bullet into the barrel and it would stop before the main powder charge ignited. If that happens you could have what amounts to a barrel obstruction, causing a dangerous pressure spike. The right mix of components is sometimes extremely critical and in this regard reloading manuals are your friend!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I agree tu2 If nothing else the mag primer used in a small case could unseat the bullet causing poor to no accuracy, if not the barrel obstruction listed above.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
If you work up the load with them you'll okay but you may see a change in group size or point of impact. They are not interchangeable with out working up. Usually magnum with ball powder, I don't load anything that needs one full time.

I also use magnum primers with all ball powder. Ball powder is difficult to ignite and when used in a low density load in cold conditions it could cause a double detination which could blow the gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You must very careful and adjust you load development.

The only advantage is very cold weather performance.

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
My AR with 52/55 grain bullets and H335 gets WSR or Wolf Magnum, my 77's with Varget get CCI-400's but my 80.5's with Varget get Wolf Magnum.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
<Andrew cempa>
posted
quote:
Most HP shooters use mag type primers (7.5s, 450s BR4s CCI 41, etc with heavy loads and both extruded and ball powders with aplomb.

I see no major issues from standard igniters and magnum versions with standard charges of Varget or RL 15 etc. Most HP shooters do not use ball powders in my exp. Like any component change, drop down and work up-considering ambient temps etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied info is great and as I say never to old to learn more or a better way.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Primers are a dilemma in reloading. My rule of thumb is: A primer should only start the explosion, not effect or be a part of the explosion (that's the powder's job). Use the least powerful primer you can effectively get away with. Only load testing can determine that.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote