New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 3031
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been trying IMR 3031 in a 22-250 with Nosler 55gr BT's. So far the results have been very good. I had a 5 shot group that measured .314" with 28.5gr of powder. I have not heard or read much about this powder & was wondering why. Has anybody else seen good results with IMR 3031 or did I just mess up so bad it turned out good?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I burn a lot of IMR 3031... I think the big problem with this powder, is like so many other powders like RL 7 etc, it's burn rate is not the 'trendy' status anymore....

People are made to believe powders like 4350 and above, will fill the case more, and therefore will be much more accurate....while producing lower pressures and higher velocities.....

Notice how you also use more powder with the " trendy" ones?

3031, And Reloader 7 are two great accuracy powders in the 22.250. They work well in any 308 sized case or 7 x 57 length case....They also work good in 06 sized cases and above, with the lighter bullets ( say 150 grain in 30/06)......

3031 is also a very forgiving powder, as it doesn't hit that pressure spike as quick as some other powders....

YOu didn't mess up, you just discovered it on your own as I did... without much help from the Reload Manuals anymore.....

I keep a lot more 3031 and Rl 7 on hand than I do 4831 and above slower burning powders...

just ignore what others may say while being trendy and use the 3031..... it works and works well....

cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used IMR 3031 in the 223, 308, 30-06, 350 RM, 375 H&H, 416 RM, 45/70, 458 Win Mag, and the 450 No2. It is one of my favorite powders.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvy barrel:
I have been trying IMR 3031 in a 22-250 with Nosler 55gr BT's. So far the results have been very good. I had a 5 shot group that measured .314" with 28.5gr of powder. I have not heard or read much about this powder & was wondering why. Has anybody else seen good results with IMR 3031 or did I just mess up so bad it turned out good?

If I am not mistaken, IMR 3031 was originally developed as THE powder for the .257 Roberts back when DuPont/Remington were trying to make a factory round out of MAJ Ned's brainchild, and it was once considered "pretty slow"! My how things have changed, eh??

I have had excellent results with IMR 3031 in a number of different cartridges, including the .222 Rem., the .223 Rem., the 7X57mm, the .30/30, the .32/40, the .308 WIN., the .375 H&H, and the .45/70. It is a very versatile, flexible powder, IMO!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
And to add to the list of stunning achievments with IMR 3031: Try the Speer 235 grain .375 in the H&H and be totally amazed at the accuracy potential, and lack of recoil... beer

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I find 3031 very useable in my 358 and 35whelen. More consistent, and easy to work with. FWIW, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only powder I ever used in my 35 Whelan was 3031. Yes, it's not trendy to advise it's use anymore. But, it works well.
RL-7 might me in the same catagory, but I just finished load development on some 22 centerfires, and it gave the best accuracy in my 222 Remington and 22 BR. And, I used all of the newer, trendy powders, to see what worked best. Benchmark was close, but RL-7 won the contest.
Don

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbOne of the first powders I used when I started.another nice feature is that it doesn't bark as loud in short barrels. claproger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I actually used a 20+ year old can of 3031 to break in my 375 H&H. It shot very well with some sub MOA groups using the 270 grain Hornady SP.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3031 is my main powder.

FIre Support Team

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arky65
posted Hide Post
i do not have the load data in front of me right now but 3031 is one of the two accuracy loads in my 22/250 also. and i discovered it by accident. it also works well in my .243 and my 30/30.

arky65

people that trade freedom for security become slaves

Posts: 245 | Location: arkansas/louisiana | Registered: 31 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
39.5 grains of IMR 3031, with 165/168 grain bullets is a GREAT 308 load. Works great in super accurate bolt rifles to M1A's, H&H 91's to Savage 99's.
If your 308 does not shoot that load good you should sell it and buy another. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR3031 has always been an enigma of sorts to me. I use every other rifle powder IMR produces. Yet, I've always given IMR3031 a wide berth. No reason actually except it falls in same useability as several other IMR powders. I'm certain some of you have great results with it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3031 is slightly on the fast side for optimum velocities in the 22-250, but will get you within 100 fps of tops, anyway. I don't use it much because (1) its long grains don't meter particularly well, and (2) it usually gives greater shot-to-shot velocity variation than slightly slower powders. HOWEVER, I have never seen a great deal of correlation between velocity variations and accuracy, so I don't know that this means much. If it works for you, then by all means use it.

For the same money I might buy a different powder, but I certainly wouldn't turn down a bargain in 3031. 3031 goes back a long way in the DuPont line-up, and may be the oldest powder in the IMR line still being produced.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR's 3031 is my sentimental favorite rifle powder. I have loaded a lot of it in both the 6mm Rem Intl. and the 358 Win. I will never forget the winning results this powder helped produce in competition.

What ifs are just a discussion but if faced with only one powder to use for all rifle cartridges 3031 would be my immediate first choice.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I use 3031 in my 25-06 when I am shooting the 75 gr. bullets. I get great velocity and good enough accuracy.

But it still doesn't beat the accuracy of my 100 gr. load using 4831. That load is truly exceptional.

My Grandfather has been using 3031 in his 30-06 for a lot of years.

And you are correct, in that few loading manuals give 3031 it's due credit. If I need information about it, I usually have to get it from the IMR catalog or their website.

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
How about 3031 in a .338 Winchester? Say with 210 partitions

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Works great in 45/70...

Regards - GCF
"Sometimes you make eight - Sometimes you hit dirt"

Posts: 287 | Location: Corpus Christi, TX | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by acsteele:
How about 3031 in a .338 Winchester? Say with 210 partitions

Your top velocities will be a couple of hundred fps below more appropriate powders like 4350, RL19, or 4831. You will also experience much wider velocity swings with the partially empty case. With a powder as relatively fast as 3031, you will also experience pressure spikes with the addtion of just a very little powder as you reach full normal operating pressures.

In other words, it'll work; just not as well as other powders and won't give you optimum velocities if that is important in your application.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You will also experience much wider velocity swings with the partially empty case. With a powder as relatively fast as 3031

Don't bet the ranch on that one without a lifetime of experiance with IMR's 3031.

That powder produced winning accuracy, day in day out-year in year out, in a 6mm International with less than a full case.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:
quote:
You will also experience much wider velocity swings with the partially empty case. With a powder as relatively fast as 3031

Don't bet the ranch on that one without a lifetime of experiance with IMR's 3031.

True, I have only been loading for 40 years as of this coming August, and only started using 3031 in various cartridges beginning 35 years ago, so I haven't had a lifetime of experience YET! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
33.0 grains behind a 53 grains Sierra Match HP has worked great for me in a few rifles. It's a load given to me by a friend. It shot equally well for him.

Catmandu

Posts: 109 | Location: NE,TN | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about 3031 in the 7.62x39? Anmybody have any experience with this cart.?

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve4102:
How about 3031 in the 7.62x39? Anmybody have any experience with this cart.?

I haven't tried 3031 in the .7.62x39, but with the typical 123-125 grain bullet it would be a little slow for optimum velocities. It might be pretty good with 150's, but only your chronograph will know for sure.

posted Hide Post
I think the "issue" with IMR 3031 is the length of the stick. It has the same length as IMR 4064, except it is thinner in diameter. This means that it may not meter (in standard powder meters) as consistently as other stick powders. This translates into more time spent on the loading bench and less time on the range shooting.

The bottom line is if it works for your rifle, use it - the only thing that counts is that you are safely getting the accuracy and velecity you are looking for - not what others amy think about a specific choice in powder.

Gurrie

PS - I've used it in an AR-15 at 200 and 300 yards and was able to get good groups and low pressures.

Posts: 27 | Location: Windham, NH | Registered: 31 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen some good groups using this powder in my 22-250. I have shot several 5 shot groups under an inch & a couple under a half inch. The only pressure issue is that it seems like the cases are not expanding enough to seal the chamber. They look sooty around the neck & shoulder area.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote