New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270wby and 7mmRum expected velocities
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm wondering what are some realistic handload velocities for both of these calibers. I'm trying to decide which one to get and I have seen lots of conflicting information. The .270 weatherby would have a 26" barrel shooting 130 grn pills and the 7mm Rum would have a 26"barrel and shoot mainly 140 grn pills.. I'm trying to decide what the real difference would be? Thanks to everyone

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boman,

I think you are selling yourself short if you stick to 140 gr. bullets in a 7mm RUM. I think it's even selling yourself short in a 7mm RM. The beauty of that big case is the ability to drive heavy bullets fast. They are still incredibly flat shooting and carry the freight out there a long ways.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jrslate, thank you I will take that into consideration. I'm sure I will play around with all kinds of bullets anyways. Thanks

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boman-I use the 140gr bullets exclusively in my 7mmstw and 7mmrem mags.I have taken deer,elk,moose,bighorn,pronghorn and bears with 140gr bullets.I have yet to see a 140gr partition come apart or fail to penetrate even with muzzle velocities above 3500fps.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
with 130 grainers i get 3400 ish in my 270 weatherby with a stiff load of imr 7828. good luck

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got not hardly 3600 with the 140 in the 7 RUM but the best shooting load so far was the 154 Hornady at 3450.

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote