New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 steps forward ... and?
 Login/Join

Picture of Larry K
posted
I use the surplus steel 7.62x54r Russian cases, with reduced bullet and powder weights for a target round. Now that I am reloading the used cases the bullets are loose in the neck even after resizing. Is the cause neck temper-hardness making the sizing not work? Another post suggested the button sizer may open the neck back up??

Posts: 8 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 26 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the problem you are experiencing is the reason why most people don't attempt to reload steel cases. Steel just isn't as malleable as brass cases...

Posts: 816 | Location: Whitlock, TN | Registered: 23 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry K:
I use the surplus steel 7.62x54r Russian cases?

I'd say this is your problem.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Larry K
posted Hide Post
I agree that is the best reason Shof. But wonder how the many poor people who used this particuliar firearm didn't reload, and many times? I must assume they didn't get close to factory loads?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What size is the neck if you remove the expander button? How are you managing primers? Swaging or lining the pockets? And yes, the best solution is to use brass cases. I suppose you could try annealing your necks; especially if they start cracking.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Larry K
posted Hide Post
dpcd I had the button out for awhile but as I remember could not get the bullet into the neck after sizing. I will file the expander on my lathe until I get a slight press. I really liked how some competition shooters reload at the shooters bench- and "Banging away".

The annealing will be a very good way to extend especially the steel-case-life; if done correctly.

Picture of Larry K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry K:
I use the surplus steel 7.62x54r Russian cases?

I'd say this is your problem.

Yes new in this field and suffering; through a reconing of my own choice; I also never used brass cases. The "Problem w/cases" never seemed important, at first thought I believed for one or two reloads it would not be. SO... Adapt, improvise, and KSA. Thanks for input graybird

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
While not as easy as brass cases to resize correctly, I use WW II German-made steel cases all the time in a couple of my rifles. I have not altered case neck thickness or expander ball diameter and have never annealed them, but it seems important to use a high quality lube made for high-pressure bearings.

The cases I'm using are for the 6.5x53R Dutch Mannlicher. I use Norma Berdan primers in them. My dies are from RCBS.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Larry K
posted Hide Post
Hey, Eh Canuck I have used the regular sizing lube and found the neck hanging tight in the dies- not stuck as some talk about.

Thanks so much, I will find the best lube for the copper washed steel cases. may learn how to rewash the cases also. May be the lube commonly sold for resizing is best, for "Brass" cases? Also plan to match cases and chambers so only the neck needs sizing-resizing(?)

A. Canuck- Don't have too much fun, I try to avoid it myself as people wonder ... and watch out for them whiskey girls.

quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
While not as easy as brass cases to resize correctly, I use WW II German-made steel cases all the time in a couple of my rifles. I have not altered case neck thickness or expander ball diameter and have never annealed them, but it seems important to use a high quality lube made for high-pressure bearings.

The cases I'm using are for the 6.5x53R Dutch Mannlicher. I use Norma Berdan primers in them. My dies are from RCBS.