Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking shell holders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted
Guys, just broke two shelll holders for my 450#2 RCBS reloading dies... I have been loading for over 25 years and this has me perplexed...
Is the steel to hard?? The shell holders are tearing off from the Brass rim of the 450#2..

Mike Mad Eeker bewildered

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
It has to be a metallurgical problem. I'd contact RCBS as they have a terrific reputation for customer service.

I have been reloading for over 25 years and have never seen this, either.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9377 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here but it would seem to me that you must be exerting a fairly extreme force to break a shell holder, brittle or not. I know the 450#2s have a reputation as a heavy duty case with a massive rim but I have to wonder if a little more or a different type of lube applied both in the case neck as well as externally might be the best way to solve you problem & cut down the force applied to your shell holders.
Steve.

Posts: 540 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote