Find
Notify
Tools

loading for 7.62x39
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted
Could anyone recommend a good hunting load or factory round for the 7.62x39? I will be using it on hogs, muflon sheep, and maybe axis deer. Thanks for your help.

To a point you can never have too much horsepower!
Hauptjager

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I'm using 28 grain of Reloder 7 and a 123 grain Hornady (.310) soft point. Lyman shoes 30 grains as the max (compressed load).

but I've just started. I hope to crony them the next time at the range. Seems like I was getting almost 2400 fps last time.

This was using a CZ 527 Carbine.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Bill, what were you planning to use the reloader 7 load for? I have an old Soivet SKS that is surprisingly accurate and if I can find a sporter stock that will give me a long enough length of pull. I would like to get her some trigger time this hunting season. We have hogs, muflon sheep, goats, and Axis deer here in Hawaii. What do you think?

Hauptjager

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hauptjager:
Could anyone recommend a good hunting load or factory round for the 7.62x39? I will be using it on hogs, muflon sheep, and maybe axis deer. Thanks for your help.

In my Russian SKS I use the Hornady .310 123 gr bullet or the Speer 125 .311 bullet over 22.5 gr of H4227 in IMI cases with a WLR primer. Velocity is 2350 fps and accuracy is excellent. With R-P cases and SR primers I go up to 23.5 gr H4227.

The above should suffice for the sheep and deer. Not sure how large the hogs are there but you may want more bullet for them. The Hornady .312 150 gr SP runs 1900 out of the SKS over 28 gr H4895 in the IMI cases. For close range shooting the SP should still offer good expansion and penetration. However, if your SKS will shoot the Speer HotCore 130 gr FP .308 30-30 bullet then I'd recommend it over 27 gr of RL& for 2350 fps or so. That is 30-30 ballistics with a 30-30 bullet and should do nicely for hogs.

I have some other loads but they are used in a Mini MKX Mauser and might beat up the action of the SKS.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mc:
I'm using 28 grain of Reloder 7 and a 123 grain Hornady (.310) soft point. Lyman shoes 30 grains as the max (compressed load).

Hey Bill, Any signs of pressure with this load? My Lyman 48 has 123gr Hornady Sp .310 at 26.8gr Max for R-7. Lyman 48 does show 30gr max for cast bullets. My Sierra has 125gr at 26.3gr Max of R-7. Just curious.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
quote:
The above should suffice for the sheep and deer. Not sure how large the hogs are there but you may want more bullet for them.

Larry, The biggist hog I have heard of is a little over 170, but most run in the 100 Lb. range. For "kicks" I uslay use my .375 HH, but Im looking for somthing quick had handy.

Did you restock your sks? If so what did you use?

Hauptjager

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
The powders which work best for me in the 7.62 x 39 are Vit V 130 and AA 1680. The 150 grain bullets will do 2250 in a bolt action and a 16" Colt AR gets 2100. 125 grain weight will run up to 2400 ft/secs and all game mentioned will be nicely served with these loads. The Mountain Lion in my Avatar was a victim of one, 150 Nosler BT and 25 grains of AA 1680. Accuracy is exceptional, at .5 MOA in the little Sako.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Haupjager,

Good to see you posting again!

Those speer bullets are great for the price!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any loads using Lil' Gun??? It is THE wonder powder for my hornet and I hoped it would be as good in the SKS.

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
My 47th edition Lyman shows the following.

125 gr jacketed bullet.
RX7 - 26.5 starting load, 30.0 max load and also a compressed load. It also recommends Reloder 7 for the most accurate powder.

At 30.0 grains, speed should be 2528 fps with CUP pressure of 41,300 which is the lowest of powders shown execpt for IMR 4198 at 40,800.

No pressure signs either in the CZ or the SKS but I will be loading for the CZ only. Wolf ammo will be shot in the SKS.

I should be able to crony the loads tomorrow and see what kind of groups I'll get. The previous session I had problems because of misfires.

Misfires due to the Lee die pushing the should back too far (full length resizing) and a weak firing pin spring.

It kinda ruins your concentration having misfires. Mad

Back to the still.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
RedRider, I have been working with Lil Gun and the 110 Hornady V-Max and find no happiness or satisfaction there! Pressure spikes and low velocities! I actually can't understand it, as you would think this a combination made in heaven. Trust me it is from Hell instead. I would recomend that you avoid this pitfall.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Pressure spikes and low velocities are exactly what one would expect from H-110 and Lil-Gun.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hauptjager:

I'm using a .308" diameter 150-grain Sierra flatbase pointed softpoint with 31.5 grains of H335, Fed 210 primers and WW cases in my CZ 527 carbine. The Vel is 2300 FPS @ 10' from the muzzle. Here's how this load shoots.

This load is OK in both my CZ and Chicom SKS, but if you try it, start at least 5% below that powder charge and work up, looking out for pressure signs. H335 may be a little on the slow side for the 7.62X39mm, but when I am using overly heavy-for-cartridge bullets, I also like slower propellants to keep pressures under control. I also have a load that uses 28.5 grains of H335 with a Speer .311" 180-grain round nose. This load shoots pretty well, and gives just over 2000 FPS with that bullet, which exceeds ORIGINAL .30/30 Win. ballistics (165-grainer @ 1970 FPS).....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I shot the CZ over the crony today and averaged about 2345 fps.

Groups at 100 weren't the greatest, about 1 1/2 inches. But that's using a 4 power scope plus some fine tuning of the scope.

For kicks, I shot it at 200 yards just to see the drop. Group was about 3 1/2 inches and dropping about 7 inches from point of aim.

I think it's a "deer getter" now but since this was the first firing, perhaps by neck sizing now, I can close up those groups.

But it's definately "minute of deer"

Back to the still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Pressure spikes and low velocities are exactly what one would expect from H-110 and Lil-Gun.

I have done 26.6 gr W296 [H110] and 180 gr Sierra in a Yugo SKS a few times. Sometimes the pressure is very high.

Once it blew the firing pin out the back of the bolt and bent up the firing pin. I replaced it with an Albainian SKS firing pin, which seems a little sturdier, even though Yugos are nice and Albaininas are a POS.

What does it all mean?
You can't get accuracy, high pressure, or power from an SKS, so don't waste your time.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnekkcc:
What does it all mean?
You can't get accuracy, high pressure, or power from an SKS, so don't waste your time.

I have no illusions that the SKS (no mater the maker) is little more that a better than average military rifle. That said, plenty of critters, humans included have found the great beyond by its hand. My goal for the SKS is to develop a load that will serve as a roust-a-bout gun. Shouting at ranges out to 150 yards, in the lave fields, and or getting up close and personal in the rainforest of Hawaii. Sub MOA is not needed, something that will take a critter cleanly is good enough. Mahalo nui Loa (loosely translated thank you very much) to all who have shared their loads.

Hauptjager