New
Find
Notify
Tools

triming my 348
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all. I bought a lnib Browning 71 about 2 months ago ($495.00). Starting to reload for the 05 elk season and i have a problem. I am using a lyman universal case trimer with less than 5000 rounds on it. The brass is new W-W that i have had for several years. I resized the brass then set up the trimer for 2.240". The cases mouths are coming out very uneven so I stopped at 12 rounds. I don't have a .348 pilot, so i am using a .33 pilot. I think pilot size is the reason this is happening. I would rather use the Lee trim stuff but they don't make one for the 348. I am trying to avoid a trim die but at this point it looks pretty good. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,
except for his own worth, or as my inferior, except for his own demerit.”
Theodore Roosevelt (1858 – 1919)

Posts: 240 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is because of your pilot.
If you cannot find another brand with the same shank size (i.e. Hornady, RCBS, etc.) then have your gunsmith turn one on his lathe.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the rotary trimmers are accurate enough for a perfect match on cannalures and even crimping...

I would suggest you buy a set of file trim dies for any caliber that you intend to crimp, otherwise learn to live with the uneven crimp..file trim dies are inexpensive for one caliber...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I agree.

To make the rotaries as efficient as a trim die, you have to check every bloody one. Which is pretty much what I am reduced to doing.

Especially with an oddball like the otherwise awesome .348, go for the trim die.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dick broussard:
I would rather use the Lee trim stuff but they don't make one for the 348. ...
Hey Dick, The suggestion by Spencer to have a Pilot made locally is a good one. Even then you will still be fighting the Lathe Style Trimmer.

But, I'm also a fan of the Lee Case Length Trim Dies, and believe they would make one for you. In fact, probably cheaper than having the Pilot made by a Custom Shop locally.

That 348Win brings back some fond memories of Big Game stories from my youth. I've never had one, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate their "On-Game" performance. Best of luck with yours.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always loved the old 71 and the .348 Win with 250 gr. bullets..It just hammered deer in the timber, handled like a boss shotgun, just a heck of nice combo....My only gripe was finding one that would shoot to my standards of 2", hard to find one that shoots 4 inches...I had a 2" gun and let some guy talk me out of it..It had a bolt peep and was a deluxe grade carbine..It would be worth a lot today, but wasn't then...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dick

Congrats on your purchase, at a VERY good price. The 71 has been my love for over 35 years. Forster does make a pilot for their trimmer. The size is called a "34". The shipping will cost more than the pilot. I believe that I still have a Lee trimmer (back when it was a stock item) for the 348, down in my basement. I can't really say exactly what length it does trim to but I used it for years before I got the Forster. If you are interested in the Lee, send me an email.

Mike

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input folks. I ordered an RCBS trim die from Midway, and I just finished turning the .35 pilot down on the drill press until a .348 case would slide over it. I am done until the Midway order arives and then I will try both and see what happens.
Ya know, with labor figured at minimun wage these reloads will cost about $10.00 each. So NFMike let me pass on the Lee stuff for right now.
Now all I need is to pick a powder. Man I am glad this is relaxing.

“I am an American; free born and free bred, where I acknowledge no man as my superior,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since we are talking about the .348. What bullets are you going to use?

Posts: 1292 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got the stuff from Midway today and then took the rest of the day off. Set the trim die and all my cases are shorter than the die (this is normal for me). So back to the Lyman. The cut down .35 pilot works like a champ. I wound up with a trim length of 2.243 +/- .003.
Loaded Barnes Original 250gr over 51.5gr of AA4350
Barnes Original 220gr over 55.5gr of AA4350.
Both have CCI 250 LRmag primers and I used the Lee factory crimp die.
What do yall think of Varget for this round?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your new browning. You got a great buy. I've been playing with one I bought last year and have found H-4895 to be the best powder so far with hornady 200 gr slugs. I'm getting about 2520 fps out of the 20" barrel, and accuracy is very good. My only gripe is the trigger is too heavy. As far as your cases go, I use a lee factory crimp die and I'm trimming with an RCBS TrimPro without any problems. Good luck and have fun with your 348.

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote