Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Match Hollow Point Military?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
AAdams-

Are they M852? If so, they do shoot very well. It is the Sierra 168 gr Matchking, over a load of powder that varies according to who you talk to, in a LC Match case. I shoot a good many of them, and have been very pleased with them.

one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted Hide Post
All i know is they are the LC match case and he said they were 168gr bullets. I would like to find out what powder they use and how much the charge is and the overall length is.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nowadays they use RL-15 with a flash retardent added. Good stuff.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
most of the guys i shoot highpower with that still shoot a M1A/M14 load 42grs of IMR4895 in Lake City Match or Winchester brass with a Sierra 168MK and a Fed210GM primer for 2600-2625 fps from a NM M1A

Posts: 169 | Location: Never where you think | Registered: 03 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Read this on Gun-Tests website:

A handload that duplicates LCM M852, therefore, better be in your notebook. Here it is: 168-g Sierra MatchKing at 2,580 fps, seated to 2.800 inches overall length. The powder charge is about 41.5 grains of one of the 4895s over a WW primer in an LC case. Exactly how much powder depends on the powder lot, ambient temperature, and who knows what else. Start building loads for your gun below that powder charge and work up. When you see the velocity near 2,600 fps, stop. If your rifle doesn’t shoot with this load, send the gun back.

That being said, I'd still use RE15 with the 168MK, afterall, it's the accuracy powder Sierra found for the 168MK. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
AA, Heard they(military)use powders similar to RE15 and 4064, Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote