Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

boat tale
 Login/Join

posted
Hey fellas, is it neccisary to have boat tales for smaller bullets for a .270 WIN? i noticed there are more non boattailed bullets in something like a 100 grain bullet in .270.

Posts: 1 | Location: turlock, CA | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The theory is probably that long-range accuracy (the reason for having a boattail in the first place) really only applies to light-to-midrange bullets. The heavier bullets are normally flat-based.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zackdui:
Hey fellas, is it neccisary to have boat tales for smaller bullets for a .270 WIN? i noticed there are more non boattailed bullets in something like a 100 grain bullet in .270.

Beyond 300 yards the boat tails helps. Under 300 yards it doesn't matter.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I use whatever type of bullet is most accurate in my gun and sometimes it isn't a boat tail.

I like boat tails because the taper eases insertion into the neck of the case. Also, the ballistic coeficients are a bit better than the flat based designs which tranlates into better velocity retention and less drop down range.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote