New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: looking for quality dies for .308
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have used Hornday, Lee, RCBS, and Redding, and prefer Redding, although I still use some RCBS. All new stuff is Redding.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Out of the several sets of 308 dies that I have the ones I seem to use the most are a RCBS "X" sizer so I don't have to trim the cases, and a Redding Competition seating die so I can seat bullets straight to a precise depth.
Probably the best "trick" I can tell you about getting a 308 to shoot it's best though is to use Lapua brass. IMHO it's well worth the $35 or so per 100 it costs. www.sinclairintl.com has the dies as well as the brass but check thier prices as sometimes you can beat them.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are dies that size without using an expanding button. They are touted as working the brass less and one does not have to lube the insides of the necks.

They are called bushing dies and Redding, Hornady and I think Wilson make them.

If you have a nice tight round chamber and don't load too hot you might enjoy a neck sizing die that uses a bushing. Your going to be into some bucks however. An economy way out is to buy a Lee Collet die.

You can do more for accuracy by sorting brass and keeping track of it. This means not mixing it up and, heavens forbid, throwing some out once in a while.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I've been using RCBS dies from the early 1970's...

keep on doing that....good stuff and superb service.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am looking for recommendations for new dies for my .308 (Mil-Spec Rem 700 w/free-floated stainless 5-R bbl & McMillan stock). I do not compete (other than with buddies at the range for bragging rights), but get my grins from being able to hit what I aim at out to what is "way out there" for me (600yd range). I stick to 175 and 168gr SMK HPBT for reloading, and usually with Varget.

I've been using RCBS dies from the early 1970's...backing the sizer out to partial neck size only and hoping for the best on bullet seating. I looked at Redding competition dies, but they are a bit costly and I don't think my shooting skills justify buying them - yet.

What should I look for in dies, who has fair prices, am I asking the right questions?

Thanks for your help.

posted Hide Post
I have loaded long range tactical 308 for a long time and use a old RCBS full length sizer on new brass.
For fired brass I use a Lee collet die and a Redding body die adjusted for head space,I get .000-.001 RO using this combo. If the RCBS die is working keep using it, they are tried and true.

Posts: 15 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote