posted
Anyone try this combination? What are your loads? How about accuracy
(the biggest factor) and velocity? I was thinking the new 168 XLC for
all big game (simplicity).

I already have the 180 gr Partitions doing 3265 fps with RL 25 and well
under an inch from my Sako 75 SS. Just bored I guess and willing
to play around some more! [Big Grin]

[ 09-12-2002, 13:52: Message edited by: POP ]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have tried several loads with the Barnes XLC 168 gr. in a HS Precision 300 RUM and a Mod 70 300 WSM. I have not been able to get anything close to a good group. Something like 2.5" in the RUM. Aat the same time I am getting better than 1.0" groups with Ballistic tips and partitions. I kind of gave up after a couple loads.

Good Luck

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could do no better than 1.5" with 165 or 180gr xlc's.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't rule them out till you try them at longer range. I have a 300 wby that will only do 1.5" at 100 yds yet will do 3-3.25" at 300 yds.
I just read a report where they tested some matchkings and they did 2" at 100 yds but barely over 3" at 300 yds. Maybe they will NOT turn out but it's worth a look.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
POP -- I just worked a load up for a buddy for his .300 RUM using 200 gr. North Fork bullets. You should try them sometime before you finish your load research. They are the most accurate tough bullet I have ever shot. I also tried all the other premiums for him, the North Forks were by far the most accurate. Good shooting. [Wink]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
What are the loads you guys tried so far? What are velocities like? Thanx

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
The final load for the 200 gr. North Fork was 94 grains of H-1000, Fed 215M primer. It chronographed an average 3000 fps. I could get it faster but not with the near one hole accuracy. I got over 3300 fps with the 180 gr. North Fork and inch groups. Because I am not 100% sure of that load I will not try to guess here, I will look at my records and get back later. Good shooting. [Wink]