New
Find
Notify
Tools

RL-22 in a 338 Win Mag?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'd love to start with this powder, as I have several pounds of a proven lot on hand, in load development for my new 338 Win Mag (Model SS Classic). I'd like to develop two loads, (1) big moose, nilgai, etc. i.e. 240 North Fork, 250 Partition, 230 Fail Safe, and (2) heavy deer/elk i.e. 210 Partition, 200 or 225 North Fork or perhaps 210 Scirrocco??? Thanks in advance for anyones help. Roger.

<phurley>
posted
Clearwater -- I have loaded for my .340 Wby for years. I have also loaded for three buddies .338. I have shot lots of RL-22 threw both chamberings, however I have done better with RL-19. This is not to say it is gospel, just my experience. I use RL-22 for several other rifles, .257 Wby, .300 Win, .358 STA, with RL-22 coming out on top by a heap. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clearwater, RL-22 is OK but not your best bet. Try RL-19 and you'll be a lot happier. I use 72.0 gr. with a 230 gr. Fail Safe, 2800 fps and 60,000 psi. I use that load for everything.

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Each gun is an individual, so it's not possible to say for certain, but I think you'll have excellent results with RL-22 in your .338. I have had several .338's, and all of them performed their best (with bullets over 200 grains) with original surplus 4831, a powder that is extremely close to RL-22 in buring rate. Only a 180 grain Nosler indicated better performance with a faster powder.

Since you have a single lot of RL-22, you're way ahead of the game. RL-22 has a reputation for significant variation between lots, but with a single lot you're all set for a number of years.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
RL22 is always my pick for the 338 Win Mag. I've had about a dozen of them and with but one exception, that was the propellant of choice for both the 225g and 250g bullets. The other one liked VihtaVouri N160 better with the 225g bullets.

In 225g bullets around 75 or 76g is usually maximum and that usually yields about 2850fps �, depending on the barrel.

In 250g bullets, around 72 or 73g is max at about �2800fps.

I've had notably better accuracy using standard primers instead of any magnum primers. In tests I've run, the velocity is a negligible 7 or 8fps MORE with the standard primers than with the magnums. Those loads have used Federal 210M's mostly.

I usually do primary load development with Hornady bullets and ultimately work over the Nosler Partitions for elk. Excellent success both on game and on paper with them so if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've never tried the North Fork, and don't care for the Fail Safes

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Bob338:
quote:
and don't care for the Fail Safes
Just curious, what problem(s) have you had w/failsafes?

I know they flat would not shoot in my 300 Win Mag! Best group was about 4" @ 100 yds. Might not have "seasoned" the bore enough by firing sufficient rounds but if it didn't tighten up after a box of factory 180 Failsafes, didn't see the point in throwing good money after bad.

I use moly in my match rifles but none of my hunting rifles. Since my 300 is a problem child, tried the failsafes as kind of a last resort.

Regards,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Exactly the same problems you had. No consistency on paper nor on the chronograph. One time one hole groups, the next time shotgun pattern and I too figured it was the barrel. A buddy had me load some in his 338. Bullet didn't expand even after passing through bone. He almost lost his elk and it was a job tracking and getting him. I have several boxes on the shelf and unless someone wants to buy them or have me load them, I'll probably have them for a looooong time.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been using 230-grain FS bullets, mostly the Lubalox coated ones, and with great success. I have killed several moose with one shot each, the closest at 100 yards, and the farthest at 300.

I remember one year when I could not get any rounds with the FS bullets to shoot well at the range, and I thought it was the scope going bad. It was one day before the moose season began, so I was desperate. I was thinking of buying another scope to go on my hunt, and I opened a gun magazine I had in my car at the range, and like a miracle there was an article on how to clean a rifle's barrel to improve accuracy. I ran a couple of patches soaked with copper/powder solvent while the barrel was warm, and drove home. About a hour later, I brushed the rifling, followed by wet patches, then brush again...until the rifling was squeaky clean. I went back to the range, shot 2 FS at 100 yards, and the two bullets printed about 1/2" from each other!

I jumped up laughing, grabbed the target (for show and tell), and the next day at 10:30 AM I killed a moose with one shot through both shoulder bones. This is not my favorite shot, but the moose dropped like hit by lighting.

But keep in mind that the new FS bullets are not coated with Lubalox anymore. They now use "moly," so I will be using 225-grain XLC once I find an accurate enough load. I am getting close, however [Smile]

Almost forgot about RL-22: This powder works well with bullets from 230 grains to 300. I use RL-19 and RL-22. With the 230-grain FS and RL-19 I use a (MAXIMUM for my rifle) of 73 grains, and with RL-22 I go about 2 grains higher for the same velocity (2,830 fps).

[ 05-16-2003, 10:23: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RE Failsafes:::: I've only been at this game of reloading for about 8 years and one thing I've learned is that when a new bullet comes out everyone thinks its "the rage". IE failsafes, Scirroccos etc etc. THE BEST THING you can do is NOT BUY TOO MANY OF THESE NEW bullets when they come out. The manufacturers do their best to make sure they are as good as they can make them but................ then we get them in the field and find out the faults they just couldn't know about. Most people reported scirrocco's had poor accuracy right off the bat. Within a short time swift really got the quality control going on jacket uniformity. With the failsafe they suffered the same problem as early barnes bullets--unreliable expansion. Within a year or two Winchester did major rehashing on the metalurgy.
No manufacturer want's to get off on the wrong foot but it just takes a little while to get the fine tuning down. Kinda makes me wonder about the new "bonded" bullets. Maybe nosler and Hornady can "hit the nail on the head" but for now I'll just stick with the reliable's like partitions, a-frames, and interlocks and watch the reports come in!! JUst my opinion and your mileage may vary!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like RL-19 and RL-22, there isn't a lot of difference in them...as well as H4831...I shoot the 210 and 250 Noslers (the 250 is a tough bullet and doesn't expand a bunch on light deer and antelope).....

I really like the 300 gr. Woodleigh for elk, it just flat knocks there nose in the dirt. I use it in the timber and out in the open...

The North forks are a great bullet in any caliber, and I don't think you can make one fail to make a perfect mushroom, they are disgustingly perfect...

I have blown up a couple of Hornadys and I'm not a forgiving soul, so I quit them.

Never liked the 225 and 230 gr. bullets as they are neither fish nor fowl...kind of a compromise bullet IMO...Perhaps a 225 or 230 gr. monolithic is a good way to go as they are much longer than a conventional bullet..

I have been shooting the 338 Win for many years and it is one of my favorite calibers...It will do it all..

Posts: 42136 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
I use Reloder 19 @ 73.0 and Sierra 250BT with Fed 215GM Primers and Fed Brass, for my all around load in my 338 Win FN mauser. I use it for all my game in Alaska.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote