New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starting Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read you should not load below the reccomended starting load or more than 10% below maximum. Is this a general rule or can you safely go below the starting load by a small perecntage?

Posts: 161 | Location: Australia | Registered: 28 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this recommendations refers to the posible detonation of slow burning powders if loaded in quantities to small. In general it only refers to powders such as 4831 or the like. fast burning powders, especially like pistol powders, don not carry the same warnings.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
this recommendations refers to the posible detonation of slow burning powders if loaded in quantities to small. In general it only refers to powders such as 4831 or the like. fast burning powders, especially like pistol powders, don not carry the same warnings.

Thanks for the information butchloc much appreciate it.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steyrl:
I have read you should not load below the reccomended starting load or more than 10% below maximum. Is this a general rule or can you safely go below the starting load by a small perecntage?

As a rule I never load any slow powder from IMR 4350 down in reduced loads. The mid-range powders such as IMR 3031, IMR 4064, 4895, etc., seem to work well in reduced loads. I like these for cast-bullet loads with charges that are about half a case full or slightly more.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been reloading 100 gr half jacket plinkers for 30-30 marlin. First batch was 34 grains of IMR 3031. I would like to try something with less powder. Would something around 28 grains be safe? How low would be safe?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:
Originally posted by steyrl:

As a rule I never load any slow powder from IMR 4350 down in reduced loads. The mid-range powders such as IMR 3031, IMR 4064, 4895, etc., seem to work well in reduced loads. I like these for cast-bullet loads with charges that are about half a case full or slightly more.

Here in Australia I'm working with a local powder manufactured by ADI. I believe the qivalent for 4350 is AR2209 and following your suggestion I should not use a reduced load. However, If I'm correct the equivalent for 4895 is AR2208 and maybe I can reduce the load. Firstly, I'll double check the powder equivalents chart before I make a final decision.
Thanks to one and all for their replies.

Best regards,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model20:
I've been reloading 100 gr half jacket plinkers for 30-30 marlin. First batch was 34 grains of IMR 3031. I would like to try something with less powder. Would something around 28 grains be safe? How low would be safe?

From one new member to another new member -"Gidday Mate" from Australia. Regretfully I cannot comment on your question as I'm using a 243W. I trust someone else on the Forum will be able to give you some advice.