New
Find
Notify
Tools

More Starting Questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok got my bullets today. I am reloading .40 S&W so I am using the RCBS Taper Crimp die. It says to load a case into the shellholder and run it up to the top. Put the die in and screw it down till it touches the mouth of the case. I assume this is when I first start to feel a little resistance, though I am thinking I am wrong as you will see if you keep reading. Then back off a full turn, lock the die in place and lower the arm. I put a bullet in the case mouth and then run the case into the die. I never feel any pressure at all though. When I lower the arm the bullet is still just sitting there not being pushed down into the case. Now I can unlock it and turn the die in some more and get it where it is seating, but it is trial and error since when I start to feel resistance on the empty case I have to keep cranking the die in with some force to get it down. So basically I am trying to find out if I am doing something wrong. I haven't even gotten to the crimp part yet which looks all together screwier than the seating portion.

Also, where might I find a caliper to measure my OAL with locally, what kind of stores might carry one?

Thanks
Wes

----
Towards danger; but not too rashly, nor too straight

Posts: 100 | Location: Tampa | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The procedure you describe is just for adjusting the die set, the set screw at the top adjusts the seating depth of the bullet. If you turn the die down much further, it starts to crimp the case. Also, you can buy calipers at midwayusa.com or you will likely find a set in the automotive tool section of a larger Sears store.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You should also be able to find calipers at most larger automotive parts stores like pep boys or napa to name a few ase a note it is usually best to seat bullets in pistol ammo to get the COAL that the bullet mfr recomends so that they will feed reliably in auto pistols.

HAVE FAITH IN GOD.

Posts: 206 | Location: Alberta ,Can | Registered: 29 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Hey Wes, screw the die into the press as the manuf. suggest but DON'T lock the ring. Take an empty case (no primer or powder) & put a bullet on top. Run it up into the die. Now screw the seating stem down 1/2 turn @ a time until the bullet is seated in the case to the cartridge overall length (COL). The calipers help a lot here, it should match a factory round or the length of your magazine (like 1.130").
Now you back the stem way out & turn the die body down 1/4 turn @ a time, run the loaded round back into the die until you just turn that belled case mouth straight against the bullet. This may take several tries, go slow. When the round looks right, lock the die body lock ring in place & run the round back up into the die, screw the seating stem down against the bullet & lock that ring.
Now you have a loaded "dummy" round for that bullet only. Keep it in a box , you might want to right the buulet wt. on it w/ a Sharpie. Now your seating die is set to seat & crimp that specific bullet type. You may want to do this for each buulet type, saves time in setup. For diff. bullets, you should only have to readjust the seating stem, leaving the die body lock ring in place. If you have other questions, feel free to drop me a post:
fljdd338@cox.net
What kind of .40s&w do you have?

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote