Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have any Heavy 45 acp loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted
Anyone have any Heavy 45 acp loads? I am not looking for high velocity, but a lot of weight in a medium to low velocity load. Particularly looking for something over 230grains.

On another forum, a fellow had given me a load consisting of a 250grn flat nose cast bullet (a 45Colt bullet) but I have misplaced it, and never did get to try it out.

So does anyone have 45acp loads consiting of a 250-260grn flat nosed lead or jacketed bullet or something similar?

So again, I am NOT looking for alot of velocity, just looking for a load consisting of a large heavy bullet chugging along at a sufficient rate

------------------
http://seanhhi7364.tripod.com/starivout/

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I have what you are looking for on my website.

------------------
http://stevespages.com/page8.htm

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<ty>
posted
I shoot a laser-cast 250 gr round nose flat point over 3.3 grains of clays and a winchester primer.700 fps
This is a max load and very accurate in my 1911. I do have more loads if your interested

<Eric>
posted
Sean,

Be advised if you are shooting a 1911 type pistol that you had better replace the recoil spring with something very stiff. And make sure you use a shock buff. That extra 20 or 30 grains puts a real strain on the frame and slide.

I'm speaking from personal experience. I've had three pistols in for repair (two from the same customer) that had major repairs from a steady diet of heavy bullets. I beat one up a little myself testing heavy bullets.

The extra weight isn't worth the effort and problems. 230 HB works well enough.

My two cents.

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

<eldeguello>
posted
I use 7.3 grains of Unique with a 230 grain cast semiwadcutter hollowpoint, at about 1000 fps from a 5" barrel. I replaced my recoil spring with a 26-pound Wolff, and use a spring-loaded buffer as well. Have had no problems with this load in over 25 years (all charges are weighed). Have used this same charge with 240 grain Sierras with no problems, but no longer use jacketed bullets in my Colt Gold Cup.

<eldeguello>
posted
I use 7.3 grains of Unique with a 230 grain cast semiwadcutter hollowpoint, at about 1000 fps from a 5" barrel. I replaced my recoil spring with a 26-pound Wolff, and use a spring-loaded buffer as well. Have had no problems with this load in over 25 years (all charges are weighed). Have used this same charge with 240 grain Sierras with no problems, but no longer use jacketed bullets in my Colt Gold Cup. I tried to use 250 grain Hornadys in .45 ACP cases, but they have to be seated too deep, extending into the thicker portion of the case. This causes the case to expand to the point that it will not chamber. One would have to ream the inside of the case neck to seat the bullet. Too much of a hassle if loading many rounds.

one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the excellent responces

I am, thinking of this type of load as a possible deep penetrating critter load, and so high velocity was not so much of a concern as consistant feeding and seating of bullets as regards possible pressure spikes due to the seating depth.

Has anyone tried the 230 grn Hornady FMJ Flat Point, and if so, how does it feed and perform?

------------------
http://seanhhi7364.tripod.com/starivout/

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote