Find
Notify
Tools

Damaged depriming knock out pins
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
FrownerIt's been said on this forum before and I proved it again last night; When walnut shells fill the primer flash hole knock out pins can and will bend or break. It happens just enough to get an Oh Shit about every 6 months. No EZ fix with Lee dies. thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try the Lee decapping die, works very well, supposedly tough enough to decap crimped primers, and the pin costs less than $2 if it does break/bend. Since I have a spare, it'll probably never fail, stuff like that usually only happens if I don't have a spare. Roll Eyes

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/tworeloadingtools/index.asp

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductreview.exe/GetReviews?productid=136543

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=136543&t=11082005

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?s...id=274540&t=11082005

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Don't say that! I broke my Lee decapping pin last month!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bartsche, loosen up the collet a bit, it's supposed to slide before the pin bends.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee hand tool to knock out primers and keep the ash out of my press. Yeah it adds a little time but if you don't have time to take time when you are loading you are going to have problems anyway. Most of my die sets have the pins removed and are left loose in the box. The few Lee dies I use, I have the decapping punch backed up where it hits nothing.
My current press is a RCBS Rockchucker that I bought in 1972. I wanted to keep the ash out of the casting and I also knew its compound linkage would break any decapping system known without me even feeling it. I have not broken a single decapping pin since I bought the Rockchucker.
I have bought about a dozen pins to replace those broken by the previous owners of dies that I bought used.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Don't say that! I broke my Lee decapping pin last month!

I manage to break them, which seems to come in batches... I have called up Lee and ordered 3 or 4 replacements at a time..

considering all the reloading I do, I consider them an expendible item, like a lot of other stuff...

or you can order a universal deprimer from RCBS and they will replace all the pins you break at no charge...

I have 3 Lee Universal Depriming Dies..another item I keep a couple of spares for backup.. they are cheap enough at $8.00 or so at big stores like Sportsmans, or Cabelas etc..

I also have 6 or so sets of Lee's RGB die sets, RGB stands for Really Great Buy... but I say they also stand for Really Great Backup...at $10.00 for a set, they will keep ya up and running when your regular dies need parts and repairs...

I don't understand the thinking in some folks who will spend big bucks on high quality dies, etc... and then skimp on purchase of inexpensive backup stuff...

like I run two tumblers, have 2 sets of dies for my commonly reloaded calibers...used dies at gun shops for $12 to $15.00 are around here locally...which make cheap investments..

A local gunsmith was telling me he has a customer who buys several custom $2500.00 rifles from him each year, yet is too cheap to buy a tumbler... because he will bring in all of this coroded brass and complain it won't chamber in his new rifle...the gunsmith uses new brass and it will chamber just fine.. and he runs the customers brass thru his tumbler overnight, and it will chamber just fine... homer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
...When walnut shells fill the primer flash hole knock out pins can and will bend or break. ...
Hey Bartsche, I'd guess I go a little bit slower in my Reloading than you. And I also get media hung in the Flash Hole.

Needed a quick way to dislodge the media and tried a Paper Clip. Worked fairly well, but it was not the most appropriate "Handle Design".

Thought about it a bit and took the "Sticker" out of a Plastic Push Pin, cut off a piece of the Paper Clip wire and stuck it into the Plastic Push Pin. Decided to try it without Glue and it did fine. Never did Glue it in.

It is an Extra Step I do as the cases come directly out of the Tumbler. Once that is done, I clean the Primer Pocket, Trim, Deburr, Champfer and finally Polish the Case mouth.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A jewelers screw driver with the swivel cap & .050 diameter blade works great for removing media from the flash hole and primer pocket. It also works well for chasing primer ash out of the bottom corner of the primer pocket.
It is also useful for digging media out of small bore bottle neck cases when it gets packed in them.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped getting the Hornady decap pins. Now I go to Lowe's and buy those small finishing nails.

I use my dremel tool to cut off the point. Have not had to replace a "Lowes" decapper yet.

Hack

Posts: 103 | Location: Columbus, Georgia | Registered: 08 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Lee sells replacement decapping pins & expander balls, too. Look up their die sets on their web site and the part numbers are in blue to click on and order.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote