New
Find
Notify
Tools

H-335 in .308?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used this combination? I loaded up some 130 gr X bullets with this powder, but haven't tried the load out yet.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my load is 47 grains of 335 and a 125 gr nosler bt. quite explosive. 308 & 223 are the rounds h335 was made for

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I used to load 150 gr. Sierra Pro-hunters with a load of H-335. I forget the load and my notes were lost in the move to Arizona. All I can say is that from a 20" barrel, the fireball and muzzle blast were spectacular. A friend and I were shooting right about noon time on a summer day in Nevada, (very bright sunshine) and the roughly four foot fireball was clearly visible. Other than that, I found it to be a good powder for the .308 during that time frame. (roughly 30 years ago.) I think there are betetr choices now, but H-335 will still work just fine.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be shooting them in a Model 660 Remington with a 20-inch barrel, so I will be anticipating that muzzle blast...

Does this ball powder require a magnum powder? I've used it in my .223 with both magnum and standard primers and both were reliable and acurate.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No need for magnum primers, but use them if you wish as you'll see little difference.

H335 (WC-844) is acceptable in a .308, but the nature of this powder is that it tends to increase in relative burning rate as the size of the case goes up. While it is no faster than BL-C2 (WC-846) in a .223 case (and many references list H-335 as the slower), it is definately faster than BL-C2 in a .308 case. Don't ask me to explain this phenomenon, but when you get into cases like the .416 Remington, maximum charges of H-335 will be as much as 10% lower than maximums with BL-C2.

I used to use H-335 in a .308 with 150 grain bullets, but I found that BL-C2 would yield slightly higher velocities at apparently lower pressure.

H-335 is a great powder (my favorite) for the .222-.223-.222 Mag series, but I don't care for it in larger cases.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't measure the groups last night, but they were under 3/4 inch, so I think I will stick with this load for now. 47 gr of H-335 under a 130 gr Triple Shock, Winchester brass and a CCI standard primer. It will work for mule deer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Calif. Hunter. What a coincidence. My rifle was a remington 660 as well. thumb Good rifles that were greatly under appreciated because of their looks. I stil have mine, although you probably wouldn't recognize it. Custom synthethetic stock, cammie paint job, but it's one of my go to rifles for high mountain hunting.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul - at 9000 feet in Colorado, I think I will appreciate this rifle!

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif. Hunter:
Paul - at 9000 feet in Colorado, I think I will appreciate this rifle!

You will. It is a little late for a change this year but you will be better served next year with a stout load of 3031 in that short barrel.JMHO for what that's worth.

A short wiry office supply salesman in Grand Junction had the first Mod. 600 .308 I ever saw. He took a lot of heat from his cowboy buddies about his little sissy gun. It all stopped when he took his royal quartering down slope with one shot. He still took a lot of raze that night but he was really the king of the camp fire. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote