New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer Pockets
 Login/Join

<BEJ>
posted
I decided to remove the burr(s) from the flash holes (inside) some Remington 8mm cases with a Lyman tool. I could not get the spike portion of the tool into the inside portion of the flash hole without some major wiggling and pushing. Finally, after two hours I had deburred 40 cases.
Question; Am I wasting my time since these cases are for use in a military gun or will the deburring improve the reliability of the fired round? TIA.

<Don Krakenberger>
posted
WOW--I'd be unhappy to. I have a tool from midway and it takes me probably 10 min for 20 cases. Don't know if your problem is related to the tool or if there is something real heavy about the burrs. Anyway getting back to your question about is it worth it. I'd say NOT--current factory ammo shoots great and the burs aren't removed. No reason you can't do better than that with hanloaded ammo. If you are going to enter some sort of match where it will be decided by accuracy and groups below 1/4" I'd say go for it--but in my opinion not in an old military caliber

Administrator
posted Hide Post
BEJ,

We use a tool from Sinclair International that fits in an electric drill. It only takes a few seconds to debur a case.

Most cases do not require it, but I have seen some - especially if you buy bulk brass like we do - that have an almost blocked flash hole.

We debur all our brass as a matter of course.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67046 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
Saeed; The Lyman tool works fine. I've used in on hundreds of commercial .223 cases and had no problems. My primary question is whether or not it is worthwhile to deburr for a non-benchrest, military caliber. Appreciate your response.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
BEJ,

We found that although most cases do not require deburring, I think all of them benefit from being cleaned up this way.

As I mentioned above, we buy our brass in bulk, and rezise, trim, uniform the primer pockets and debur the flash holes, before we load them.

This is done to all our brass, regardless of what we are going to use it for.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 67046 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I go through a proceedure with any of my rifle cases. I fire form them first to the chamber they will be used in, tumble the cases and then I uniform the primer pocket and the flash hole. I then trim to uniform length,resize them and tumble one more time. I then prime and reload.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In direct answer to your question: No, it is not worth the effort in this application, provided inspection of the cases reveals no particular irregularities.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Well, doing it by hand with the RCBS tool, and the proper collet, takes around 10 seconds per case.

Using the RCBS case prep center, which is motor driven, takes around 2 seconds per case.

Is it worth it? Can't say for sure, but I do it to all my cases the first time around...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<BEJ>
posted
Thanks to all for some great answers.