New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 Bore Recioe
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone,

I understand there are a lot of experienced reloaders on this site, so hopefully you can share your experience. I'm looking for a hard hitting recipe for a 12 bore gun, A friend of mine sent me the following information out of his reloading manual for a potent 12 bore load:

3" hull rule crimped with 44 gr HS-6 and 500 gr .50 caliber bullet saboted. He said the manual claims 2400 fps. Anyone done anything similar?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I briefly looked into the sabots but at the time the sabots available were getting reviews that ranged from mixed to unfavorable.

I ended up using full bore solids over fiberwads and gas seals in Fiocchi hulls. I use IMR-4227 and IMR SR4759. This load propels a 738gr hard lead, .731" diameter slug at 1200-1500fps depending on powder and charge.

posted Hide Post
That's not bad either.

I noticed that Brenneke has a 3" cartridge with 3800 ft lbs of energy.

What's been going on with the development of shotgun cartridges? I never remember them being this powerful, and especially staying within safe pressures.

So here's what I'd like to do. Load the same energy level ~4,000 lbs. energy behind a smaller .50 bullet with better sectional density. Have you seen anyone doing something like this?

I been searching around and haven't found any other confirmation of the 500 grain 2400 recipe, although something closer to, if a bit more powerful than the Brenneke doesn't seem all that far fetched.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand what you are after. I wanted it but decided it wasn't actually attainable at the time. My gun didn't have a fast enough twist and the sabots are the weak link. My slug gun is a solid 200yd gun but the wind makes me extremely uneasy beyond that. My smokeless muzzleloader will pic up anything beyond that range.

If you still want to pursue it try here:
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bb...c.php?f=118&t=196961

posted Hide Post
Ultimately I'd like to make a sabot for a .500 nitro express bullet. Do you know of any current sabot that would work? Such a bullet with good sectional density and a good charge behind it would make for unparalleled shotgun hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7mmfreak:
I told you what I know. That is the only collet style sabot. There are non-discarding sabots available also. There are non-toxic full bores as well as lead. I have a friend that is working on a patent for a new slug/sabot combo but he has more in his barrel than most guys pay for whole guns.

As far as I can tell nobody has really improved on factory sabot loads. I find factory sabot loads to vary quite a bit from lot to lot. I get my best performance from full bore solids that are very close to Paradox loads.

That link I gave you is the longest running thread I know of on sabot attempts.

If you want better external and terminal ballistics that will be legal in most shotgun areas look into muzzleloaders.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out our 12ga FH thread in big bore section.
We are in process of getting a good 12ga discarding sabot
made for using 58cal minie bullets in.
They range in weight from 350gr to 605 gr.
And thet are the cheapest to buy or cast your own.
A 440 gr one in a 3.5" plastic case can get to 2400 in
a decent barrel.Should use modern steel barrel guns.Ed

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote