THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Floating a theory about a case annnealing process

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floating a theory about a case annnealing process
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Harbor Freight DVM that came with a thermocouple. It was $20 on sale.

What I was thinking of was setting up my propane torch. Then I will hang the thermocouple out in front of the flame until I found the 700°F (370°C)zone. Using this zone I would spin a case for about 4 sec... long enough for the color to reach about .5" past the shoulder. Then quench the case.
Anyone have any comments on this proposed process control?

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
nillyI have a comment! I have a comment!! Don't burn yourself. sofaroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should give you an idea about the temperature of a propane flame.

Use a temperature-sensitive marker to develop your annealing process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The propane flame is reputed to be 1300° F.

Some distance from the flame cone it has to be the right temperature for annealing without any chance of over heating. The temperature measuring capability of the DVM should be able to find that distance for me.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote