Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Case Sizing & Bolt Closure.
 Login/Join

posted
[Smile] I am a beginner at hand loading. Require explanation on the following.
I use a CZ 550 bolt action, in Cal .308 Win. I have 100-fired empty cases of federal match king (factory loads) used in my rifle. When an empty case is fed into the chamber and the bolt is closed there is no resistance or force required to close the bolt. (It is the same force required to close the bolt when it is closed without a round in the chamber).

When the cases are neck sized or full length sized using a set of new lyman dies, the case when introduced to the chamber offers more resistance to close the bolt. i.e.; there a greater force required to close the bolt. Sizing a few other brands to gave the same result.

I tried sizing a few cases of the same batch on my friends old LEE dies and found that the bolt closes as easily as when the bolt is closed without a round in the chamber.

1) Would like to know if this is a indication that something is wrong with the dies and if would be safe to use these case�s?
2) Also noted that fired case were of a length around � 2.007� to 2.013� and were found to increase in length to 2.018�upon sizing in Lyman die. Is this a normal occurrence?
3) Is the normal case length of a .308 case between 2.010� min to 2.015� max.?
4) Would cases shorter than 2.010� in length cause excess pressure upon firing?
5)What would be considered the minimum length of a reloadable case? Meaning at which lenght would you reject the case?

[ 07-09-2003, 21:13: Message edited by: Rhunu ]

<PaulS>
posted
Rhunu,
Put some lube on the inside of your necks with a brass brash - RCBS has a handle (green plastic) that you can screw a bore brush into. Roll the brush on your lube pad and stroke it a few times then resize the cases (neck size only)

Your expander plug is pulling the case forward when you draw it out of the case after sizing and it is actually moving the shoulder forward as it comes out of the case.

Check the expander plug and make sure it is smooth. If it has scratches on it then you will have to polish it with a bit of rouge and some 0000 steel wool. Just remove the expander rod and plug assembly and wrap some paper around the threaded end. Chuck it in your electric drill and polish to remove any scratches. Clean it thououghly with soap and HOT water followed with a bit of gun oil after drying it well.

I always clean my necks before I lube them but I have heard others say that the brush and lube does it all in one step - I still take two steps.

PaulS

<eldeguello>
posted
Paul's explanation is most likely the correct one - the cases should go back into your chamber after full-length or neck sizing just as easily as they did before sizing. To see if what Paul is saying is indeed what's happening, just take the expander stem out and resize a couple of cases without expanding the inside of the neck, and try these in the rifle. if they go in easily, you'll know Paul's right! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Rhunu, 1. make sure your sizing die is coming in full contact with the shell holder. YOU can not use a full length sizing die to neck size. There maybe something wrong with you dies if this does not help and as the LEE dies worked fine.The brass should be fine. 2.this is normal for case length to increase after full length resizing. Maximum over all length (oal) for you 308win. is 2.015" , any longer then this requires trimmimg to 2.005" 3.After full length resizing or neck sizing the maximum over all length of the sized case should be no longer then 2.015", if the case is over 2.015" you should trim them back to an over all length of 2.005" 4. cases shorter then 2.010" will not cause excess pressure.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When a fired case is introduced into a FL die the first thing that happens is that the case gets longer and this is can be measured at the headspace when you chamber it or the LOA.

When the FL die finally is allowed, by proper die adjustment to return the shoulder/headspace dimension to the correct setting then the case will again chamber as it should.

It's not always the best answer to just FL size to the shellholder. There are too many variables here. It's best to fit the case to the die by adjusting the FL die lock ring a little at a time until a slight feel of the case headspacing in the chamber is detected. This comes together all at once it seems as the afformentioned growing of the case happens first.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentelman,
Many thanks for your replies,help and suggestions. Been indisposed hence will have to wait a few days to try things out. Meantime 243Winxb -What would be considered the minimum length of a reloadable case? Meaning at which lenght would you reject the case?

RGDS
Rhunu

<PaulS>
posted
Rhunu,
Unless a case is damaged and shortened to clean it up it will get longer as you use it. That's why we trim to the proper length as part of the reloading process. If a case is getting shorter then I would suspect problems with the weapon or load.
To answer your question how short is too short? As long as it will hold a bullet securely keep shootin'.

PaulS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the first man's answer is the most correct in my experience. I've seen several times where if the case neck wasn't properly lubed, the case would chamber tight, even if the die hit the shellholder hard, and for some reason, .243 and .308 were the worst culprits. It also can happen if you don't clean out the primer pockets, and your primer doesn't seat all the way. We're dealing in thousandths of inches here. If it's caused by a high primer, it'll leave a circular mark on the primer when the bolt is closed.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to think your case is not bottoming out when sized. Turn you resizing down down a bit until you can see and feel it touch your shell holder. Now you'll know the case is completely resized and should fit with no problem. It is possible your expander ball could be pulling you shoulder out also, but I think that's probably less common. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Run your press ram with the shell holder in place all the way to the top. Screw you f/l die in until in firm contact with the shell holder. Lower the ram and screw the die in another 1/4 turn. Lock it in that position. You should feel a stiff "cam over" move as you run your ram back to the top. The .243 is one of the rounds that you can't neck size with a f/l die. Or, at least, it never worked for me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
"What would be considered the minimum length of a reloadable case?"
Rhunu, I would not trim shorter then 2.005" for your 308 win. When the brass is on the short side (2.005"), the gas cutting in the throat area is more than if the case is at maximun length. IN fact any case just at maximum or slightly shorter is ok, you dont have to cut cases back to 2.005", when case trimming. I would not use cases shorter then 2.005". If the case neck/brass does not seal the chamber and the gas comes back it can crush the brass/shoulder , with the gas/pressure flowing back past the bolt.

[ 07-10-2003, 23:46: Message edited by: 243winxb ]

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote