Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 neck sizing problem
 Login/Join

posted
I just started reloading ammo for my Remington 30-06 rifle. I am using brass that is once fired out of my rifle. I decided to use my neck sizing die instead of the full length die as I will be firing the loads only in my rifle. Problem is the bullets do not seat tight. They do not fall in the case but the a loose. I already put live primers in the cases. Is there anyway to fix the problem? Should I only stick with the full length sizing die? I have 50 cases with live primers. Confused

one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael, are you using a Lee Collet die to neck size?? If yes, nice die, but it does have its idiosynchrasies. The Collet die does not work the brass a whole bunch (like a regular die with an expander does). That is part of its advantages, but it also means it does not size work-hardened brass very well. Take die apart, mount decapping mandrel in an electric drill, and use some cloth backed sandpaper to turn it down 0.001" (measure before you start!). This procedure is decribed in the die instructions.

Removing live primers: a couple of options: chamber case in your rifle, put muzzle against a largeish old rag bundled up - rag is there to handle noise and grime - pull the trigger. Without the rag, this is pretty loud, and it is dirty even with the rag. Consider wearing hearing protection and safety glasses. Rifle will need cleaning afterwards.
Other option: it is possible to remove live primers from a case by running the case into a sizing die ever so slowly and carefully. Wear safety glasses!

Again if you are using a Collet die, having sized your cases, ensure you have adequate bullet grip for all cases before priming by testing all cases with a bullet - separate step, worth the trouble.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
yes I am using the Lee collet neck die. I bought the deluxe 3 die rifle set. I did not have any problems with the full length sizer. It is just a pain since you got to lube the cases. It seems the neck die is expanding the neck too much to the point of not holding the bullet firmly in place.
I would like to save the primers if possible and will try to carefully deprime them through the full length sizer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael_M:
It seems the neck die is expanding the neck too much to the point of not holding the bullet firmly in place.
I would like to save the primers if possible and will try to carefully deprime them through the full length sizer.

Michael, the Collet die is not "expanding the neck too much", it is not sizing it down sufficiently.

Here is how a normal (neck-)sizing die works: first it sizes down the neck way beyond what the final internal diameter must be, then it mangles the expander through the undersized neck to finally attain the diamater wanted. This is a pretty brutal way of doing things - the brass is worked a whole bunch (more than it needs to be?, and that is likely a factor in expanders being famous for introducing runout on sized cases. BUT, this method does have the advantage that it works with pretty much all brass.

The Collet die goes the other way. It does not use an expander - but sizes down the neck around the decapping mandrell. I.e. there is no "down too far, up again" involved. Likely, this is a factor in the Collet die producing very straight cases. BUT, it does have the disadvantage of not working very well for work-hardened cases. Solution: polish down your decapping mandrel as described above, or anneal your cases. Whatever you do, remember to check neck tension after sizing with a Collet die, worth the the effort of not having to remove live primers.

When I first started reloading, I also thought it was worth trying to save primers that should not really have been saved. Result: a primer went off when I was trying to seat it, and I was not wearing safety glasses... I hate having to waste components - they are 2-3 times the price over here - but sometimes, the price of trying to save a few cents can be quite high. You'll learn when you have reloaded for a few years.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know what I did wrong. First, I did not screw the die in enough past the shellholder. Second, I did not apply enough force to close the collet. I just read over the directions that came with the dies and thats why my bullets are loose. Now I will remember next time. I also reload for my 44 magnum and dont have any problems with that.
Thanks for the advise.
By the way, where do you live?
2-3 times the price!
I assume you do not live in the United States

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you found your problem.

Now, how to safely remove primers: Get a piece of rod, long enough to reach the primer pocket, and grind one end of it down small enough to fit through the primer pocket. I used a long style allen wrench for mine. Put the case on something that can serve as an anvil, and that has a hole big enough to let the primer drop out. Insert the rod through the primer hole. DO NOT HOLD THE ROD WITH YOUR FINGERS!! Use pliers, or something that gets your fingers safely out of the way. Whack the rod with a small mallet or hammer. If the worst does happen, you may be picking your rod out of the ceiling, but that's about all.

I did have one go off in a FL sizing die once, but I barely noticed. Pffft...

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael
Take your regular sizing die, back the decapping rod out so it will not decap. then just partial size the primed cases. I usualy back my size die out about .040 from the shelholder when partial sizing. that will get you thru this batch without depriming all those cases.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I still had a few cases that where not completely sized but at least not all of them.
I also have the Lee factory crimp die so I am going to apply a small crimp to further prevent any bullets from slipping into the case.
Now I will have to remove the primers.
I will follow your instructions.
Then I can just run those cases back through the collect die with full force and they should be fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree, don't de-prime them. Remove the decapping pin from the FL dies and proceed as usual. Remove only the pin and re-assemble with the expander button.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`m with the others, don`t bother removing the primers. I`d remove the decapping pin leaving the expander in and adjust the fl die to only size 1/2 or so of the case neck. That will give you the needed tension and should acually give you more then a crimp would add in a loose neck.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will go ahead and do that. I would rather not deprime live primers if a have to. As long as I am able to resize the neck enough so the bullet seats tight without moving.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
another option would be the use the Lee factory crimp die to crimp the case onto the bullet.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I removed the decapping pin from the collet neck die and resized the cases. They work perfect now. Bullet is nice and tight. No need to crimp.

Hughjass- I did try the Lee factory crimp die on some of the cases. It worked on a few but because the bullet was basically jigling in the neck, I did not want to seat them too deep and then crimp them. I bought a bullet puller and pulled out the bullet and resized the case.
Everything worked out fine in the end.
It just has to warm up outside and get rid of all the snow so I can go out to the range and try them out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
...how to safely remove primers: Get a piece of rod, long enough to reach the primer pocket, and grind one end of it down small enough to fit through the primer pocket. I used a long style allen wrench for mine. Put the case on something that can serve as an anvil, and that has a hole big enough to let the primer drop out. Insert the rod through the primer hole. DO NOT HOLD THE ROD WITH YOUR FINGERS!! Use pliers, or something that gets your fingers safely out of the way. Whack the rod with a small mallet or hammer. If the worst does happen, you may be picking your rod out of the ceiling, but that's about all....

Hey Michael_M, Above is absolutely the most totally IGNORANT recommendation concerning Reloading I've ever seen in print.

If the person psoting it knew anything at all about Reloading, I would say it was totally Irresponsible, but it is quite obvious the poster has absolutely ZERO knowledge about how a "Primer" functions.

---

I'm glad to see you followed the advice of the other Posters about removing the Decapping Pin. They certainly provided a much better solution to your problem.

However, I really don't understand why none of them mentioned the totally Ignorant "Hammering on a Primer" fiasco will get you hurt. Being polite is one thing, but allowing Ignorance of that level to carry on is also unacceptable.

Glad you got your problem figured out and resolved. Just be careful of "some things" you see posted. Completely Pitiful!

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
CoolI had no intention of trying that method. If anything, I would have just chambered the empty case and fired it with the primer and then just deprime and resize. I really did not want to take the chance and have a live primer going off on me.
Anyways, I solved the problem and should not have it happen again. This is my first time reloading rifle and pistol ammo and I had to learn how to correctly adjust my dies. All set now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by denton:
Glad you found your problem.

Now, how to safely remove primers: Get a piece of rod, long enough to reach the primer pocket, and grind one end of it down small enough to fit through the primer pocket. I used a long style allen wrench for mine. Put the case on something that can serve as an anvil, and that has a hole big enough to let the primer drop out. Insert the rod through the primer hole. DO NOT HOLD THE ROD WITH YOUR FINGERS!! Use pliers, or something that gets your fingers safely out of the way. Whack the rod with a small mallet or hammer. If the worst does happen, you may be picking your rod out of the ceiling, but that's about all.

I did have one go off in a FL sizing die once, but I barely noticed. Pffft...

Hot core, I just saw this also. I couldn't believe my eyes! This has to be the worst advice I've ever seen. It just about gaurrentees the primer will detonate! What he's describing is similar to a lee military decapper rod and shell holder.

This should be deleted before somebody tries it and gets hurt!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael_M:
CoolI had no intention of trying that method. If anything, I would have just chambered the empty case and fired it with the primer and then just deprime and resize. I really did not want to take the chance and have a live primer going off on me.
Hey Michael_M, That is an excellent way to go about it also. And it precludes any chance at all of anyone getting themselves hurt by a flying Primer Cup or Anvil.

quote:
Anyways, I solved the problem and should not have it happen again. This is my first time reloading rifle and pistol ammo and I had to learn how to correctly adjust my dies. All set now.
There are little things similar to this that come up from time to time. Fortunately they rarely turn into anything catastrophic for any of us.

Let me encourage you to "continue to" STOP and ask the next time something which just doesn't seem right comes up while Reloading. There are a lot of people reading these threads who never post and many of them are Beginning Reloaders too. I'm hopeful they all realized that "Hammering on the Anvil of a LIVE Primer" is as totally Ignorant as it gets.

---

Hey grizz, I obviously agree. There are some things in Reloading where we can all do them a bit differently, but it doesn't matter because nobody can be hurt in the process. Like segregating cases into Lots by weight, or not doing it.

But posting a Method which will obviously result in someone getting hurt really indicates a complete lack of understanding about how a Primer functions.

Concerning the source, it really doesn't surprise me though.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
I have deprimed without a problem using the decapping die. Just do it slow and easy.

But I think removing the decapping pin was the best solution.

But now when I reload, I use a universal decapping die and make that my first step. Second step is the tumbler, then on to resizing.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Micheal-M ,- You should be FL sizing for the 30-06 anyway.

Posts: 78 | Location: In the woods of PA. | Registered: 30 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will be firing the ammo out of the same gun and thats why I was using the collect neck sizer. The do chamber in my rifle fine.