Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

whats your opinion
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking in to buying a Redding BR-30 powerder measure and the RCBS benchmounted APS priming tool. What do you guys think of these products. The Redding will be primarily used to throw 36 grains of Vihtavuori N133.

Randy

one of us
posted Hide Post
All are good products. Personally, I don't like the APS priming set, but thats just me. My bench is cluttered enough without it.

I really like V-V powders, and you will too.

[ 10-03-2003, 21:24: Message edited by: packrat ]

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Taz, don't know about the powder measure, but I suggest you look at the Lee Auto-Prime tool. It is hand held, fast, and works great, not to mention it doesn't cost much. Good luck.

Posts: 10 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
I have the RCBS Uniflow measurer and have used the Redding as well. They both work well enough with the ball & flake type powders. The stick type powders are poor in any of the volume measuring systems.

As for the priming I am with Davisjv, give me the Lee it's fast and not expensive and easy to use too.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Redding measure is among the best available. I don't have any use for the APS priming system -- as others have said, the Lee Auto Prime will do the job cheaply and well. It WILL wear out after a few tens of thousands of rounds (especially if you fail to keep a little lubricant on the knuckle bearing surfaces), but so what? Just go buy another one for $10 or $15.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the Harrels Precision Measure handle stick powder any better than everybody else's? It sure costs a helluva lot more.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can check out the bench-mounted APS unit here.

I like the APS system, though I use my RCBS 2000 press and the hand-held unit, not the bench-mounted unit. The strips are easy to load, you don't have to ever touch the primers themselves (I learned to prime on a Forster Coax press - each primer has to be hand placed on top of the primer ram - it's slow and a pain, but a good way to learn).

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote