THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleanest burning fast powder for revolver???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted
I loaded up some Universal loads in 44Mag and 45Colt a long time ago and decided yesterday to shoot them up and "freshen" up the ammo supply. In doing so I was amazed at how dirty it was.

In your experience what have you found to be the cleanest burning of the faster powders for large caliber autos and revolvers???

The targeted velocity range for the above mentioned revolvers is 750-850fps.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unique was by far the dirtiest I ever used in my 45 ACP but AA 2200 and 2400 were not nearly as bad.

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with ww760 in my 45 ACP. I should have said 231 guys, sorry my error.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "new Unique" is supposed to be cleaner.
If i live long enough to burn up my stockpile of the "old" I will try it.
Good Luck!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have had good luck with WW 760 in my 45 ACP.

You're kidding, right?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Personally I use 4.5 grains of Bullseye behind a 200 grain cast bullet. It's my experiance that when I get a dirty burn I treat it as a too low pressure load. I either up the powder charge, increase to diameter of the bullet, tighten the crimp, anything to increase the pressure.
Usually works.
Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've long seen many complaints about the Hercules/Alliant propellants.

there were a diehard group of people in shotshell loading who always insisted that Dupont 700X was cleaner than RedDot, yes the 700x produced less "dirt" But the fouling tha treddot produced was generally easier to clean off.

More fouling but softer fouling.

Dammit, you gotta clean the firearm anyway!

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arkypete:
It's my experiance that when I get a dirty burn I treat it as a too low pressure load. I either up the powder charge, increase to diameter of the bullet, tighten the crimp, anything to increase the pressure.
Usually works.
Jim

Interesting comment that sure sounds reasonable. Pressure seems to be the ticket for performance in many reloading situations.

I was hoping to find a load for the 44Mag and the 45Colt that would burn clean and not require the higher pressure and attendant velocity for some clean burning low velocity loads in that 750-850fps range.

I have some friends that like to try different calibers but introducing them to these calibers with full house loads might be a little too much too soon. I have some daughter in laws that are really outdoor gals and the higher end loads might be a little rich for them from the get go.

Any recommendations, and I should have clarified this better from the start, that are higher pressured to promote better burning and clean performance in some of the lower velocities???

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
was hoping to find a load for the 44Mag and the 45Colt that would burn clean and not require the higher pressure and attendant velocity for some clean burning low velocity loads in that 750-850fps range.

Don't have a 45 Colt but in 44 Mag. Unique has always been my go-to mid-range load powder. With 240 gr. cast lead bullets it's accurate, a nice dull shove; not a wrist-turner and well, can't call it squeaky clean, IMO sorta greasy but not too messy.

In revolvers I give everything I load including wadcutters a really tight crimp.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onefunzr2:
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have had good luck with WW 760 in my 45 ACP.

You're kidding, right?

Is that measured or weighed?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Watch out Rusty it's going to blow. Big Grin

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys I gave the wrong powder I will amend my post.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
WW 231

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the new Unique is pretty clean; I have 8 pounds of 30 year old Unique that I used for cowboy loads as it smokes like black powder and leaves only slightly less fouling. It seems to be a bottomless can; I have been trying to burn it up for years so I can shoot some of the new stuff, which I have too. but ww231 is cleaner yet.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used clays in my 38's and its quite clean. A freind who has used bullsey, unique, and clays, says Clays is the cleanest of them. Pressure/velocity wise, it is pretty close to Bullseye.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have found Universal doesn't run well below midrange levels. This is true w/ most medium brun rate powders. For a 800fps load, you'll get better reults w/ something like RedDot or TG, but I hate TGs low powder volumn & high heat rate. I've shot #s of RD in 45colt CAS loads under 200-250gr bulets running 750-800fps Try 6gr & work it slightyl up or down.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of Titegroup for my lighter loads including those for my 475 and 500 Linebaugh's. My go to powder in a lot of cases.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote