Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450 Fuller
posted
For those who regularly reload for lever action rifle cartridges, the LEE Factory Crimp Dies are the
best bet as a final step.
Tubular magazines are tough on loaded cartridges sitting in the magazine under spring pressure.

Some cartridges need a sure-fire crimp that really holds the bullet. I started with a FCD for the 348 WCF, then 45-70, 33 WCF, and even the 450 Alaskan wildcat. The Lee engineers came through and the heavy recoiling 450 Alaskan was tamed as to hand loaded cartridges.
Try it-you won't be sorry, as they still are reasonable and work as advertised. A pleasant surprise.

Posts: 413 | Location: Between Alaska and Gulf of Mexico | Registered: 22 December 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on my 375 H&H. It's improved consistency in velocity and accuracy.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12657 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I've got an FCD for the .45-70 and it seems to work OK. I needed it for that calibre because my Winoku '86 seemed to have no throat and crimping on the cannelure of the Woodleigh 405-grainers left the bullet touching the rifling.

The cases from Hornady Leverevolution carts were OK, though as they were about 1.5mm shorter than expected. My final answer, though, was to have the 'throat' extended about 5mm, since when I can load to almost .45-90 COL.

Posts: 5056 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I use the Lee Factory Crimp die on my 375 H&H. It's improved consistency in velocity and accuracy.

Has been my experience with 100% of my loads.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3078 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I use them for pretty much all of the cartridges I reload for. As mentioned by Fjold, I have found they do improve the consistency of velocity and accuracy. I know did in the whole benchrest shooters who lightly crimp their cases, and they wouldn't bother with it if it wasn't providing a tangible improvement.

I also shoot more cartridges that fall into the heavy recoil category than not. I like to avoid my COL changing on its own when cartridges in the magazine hit the front of it during recoil. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1837 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm fond of the "taper crimp dies" that are now hard to come by for big bore rifles and only available for pistols these days except on special order...How do they compare to Lee Factory crimp dies? I have some of both I believe, but seldom used crimping except for pistols and double rifles.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42109 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only use a FCD die for one cartridge - a .375 HH. My rifle feeds much smoother when the loaded round is crimped.

Posts: 102 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 07 March 2012Reply With Quote