New
Find
Notify
Tools

IMR 4166, 4451 and 7977
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Would like to try some 4166 in the 375 H&H with 250 TTSX bullets. Anyone have any load data for 4166 or the others as well. Thanks

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I take it that not many have had the opportunity to purchase and use any of this new powder. A small amount trickled in to a local store but I don't think any has sold. Likely due to the lack of data. I've E-mailed Hodgdon but no answer yet.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The new Enduron powders are designed for smaller calibers.

7977 is the slowest and not really all that suitable for the 375 H&H Magnum according to some reports. The powders do get good raves from shooters however. But in smaller caliber rifles.

Seems these powders were introduced around October 2014. There is a little but of load data on Hodgdons reloading website, for few, but it's scattered and meager.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's interesting. I found data for 308, 30-06, 264WM, 6.5-284, 6.5x55, 7mmMag. I guess that's meager enough for me.

The real question is, Is wetibbe really Varmintguy?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed a trend lately by the powder companies, they come out with new powders and quote fantastic velocities, then later you see a loading book with pressures given and the new powders are way up there in pressure and of course you get higher velocities..They had to learn that from the firearms industry, hell I remember when the 458 velocity with 500 gr. bullets was 2250 FPS and the chrono told me 1922 FPS, but hey they been doing that for years, then slowing the velocity down a year later, and those sneaky little buggers don't tell you that! old

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42149 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I've noticed a trend lately by the powder companies . . .

The latest trend is having temp insensitive powders. That's what the Enduron lineup boasts. How the he77 did we ever hit targets and game with temp senstive powders?

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowman:
Would like to try some 4166 in the 375 H&H with 250 TTSX bullets. Anyone have any load data for 4166 or the others as well. Thanks

IMR 4166 has a burn rate akin to IMR 4064 and should work fine in the 375 with the 250 TTSX.

If it's as temp insensitive as they claim, it might be a great choice for Africa, especially for Africa summertime hunting.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
If it's as temp insensitive as they claim, it might be a great choice for Africa, especially for Africa summertime hunting.

Hardly anyone hunts in Africa in their summertime because of rain and great amounts of foliage that impairs the view of game animals and not because it's hotter than Texas, Arizona, California or even Ohio.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:

Hardly anyone hunts in Africa in their summertime because of rain and great amounts of foliage that impairs the view of game animals and not because it's hotter than Texas, Arizona, California or even Ohio.

Interesting comment, I hunted Africa in their summertime - in fact, it was deliberate. The Cape buffalo hunting was fantastic. The summer rains can bring the animals out of the national parks in some locations.

Also, I'll be hunting Mozambique in September of this year, and very high summertime temps can show-up in September, but I hope it remains temperate.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I actually prefer hunting in their summertime as things are prettier at that time. The greenery does make some types of hunting more difficult though.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote