New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
reloading newbie. could use suggestions for what is needed to get started. i want to be able to do everything properly, but don't necessarily need every gadget, top of the line, etc. i will be reloading 22ppc. could also use some suggestions on brass and bullets. thanks

Posts: 82 | Location: k.c. mo | Registered: 08 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got my son a Lee Anniversay Reloading Kit to start him out. W/o dies it is $67.49. Its not the greatest, but it gets the job done. You can use anyone's dies. You also need a set of calipers, and that will get you started.

This kit is part number 149 097 at Midway. Their number is 1 800 243 3220.

Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most manufacturers have a starting kit that comes with most everything you need and most often a video to so you might want to look into one of those or at least order a video if you don't have someone to help answer questions.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
darnpendar,

I agree that a kit is a good way to get started. I started with a RCBS kit years ago. You will find reloading rewarding and adicting. The doodads and gadgets are hard to stay away from though. They sneak into your bag at the store without you knowing it and somehow end up on your mailorders. I have yet to figure out if I reload to shoot, or shoot to reload.

JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
Get at least 2 reloading books, Nosler and Sierra are good, but get a book that is put out by the powder you plan to use, and one put out by the bullet you plan to use. Study them, good shooting!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
darnpendar,

Great hobby to start. I agree with the kit idea. I have the RCBS Rock Chucker. Have add some other "toys" over the years. I would suggest Sinclear Internationals "Precision Reloading and Shooting Handbook" as an excellent intro to equipment, tools etc.. when you need them and how to use them. It is focused on the tools and process for various levels.. not loads or velocities.

Posts: 36 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my Midway flyer on the bottom of page 4 it showes the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit for $65.99. pn#147-097 1V632S6 It comes with about everything you have to have other than dies to get started. If you want a better kit with better products and even more of all the things you will need/want then on page 19 they sell the RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading kit for $229.95 pn# 154-728 1V2299N5 This baby is loaded. I would suggest to get hand held priming tool though like the Lee Auto Prime rather than using the press for priming. The Auto Prime is $9.57 and shellholders for it are $2.13 and it will hold 100 primers so you just take a new tray of primers and dump them in and start priming by hand. There are many other brands of priming tools out there and some are better than the Lee but the Lee works fine and it cheap. You might also want to take a look at Dillon. They make a good product and have price too.

[ 01-09-2003, 06:07: Message edited by: Lucky Shot ]

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 22 PPC is a benchrest cartridge as far as I know but this may or may not be the application here.

What rifle do you have? What will you use it for?

Don't buy Lee tools (Lee does make some interseting dies but not presses). Buy the best.

Lets find out what the rifle and use is.

You can also ask at www.benchrest.com

[ 01-09-2003, 06:33: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
<OTTO>
posted
If on a budget the Lee set works well for starters. You will probably want to upgrade at some point. If you have the money now go with the rcbs or other heavier kit.