Find
Notify
Tools

Rusty Dies!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted
Whats up fellas, I was bored yesterday and haven't loaded any rounds for a cpl weeks. Sooo I decided to give my press a good cleaning. Well when I started to look close at every thing , I noticed that the lock n load bushings, and parts of some of the dies have gotten lite rust on them! I know that rust on the bushings isn't gonna hurt anything, but it bothers me to see rust on my dies! Anyway I cleaned the rust off as best I could and gave everything a coat of hornady dry lube. If you guys have any thoughts or advice let me know thanks.

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wd 40 and fine steel wool to clean the rust and a decent oil to stop rust

Posts: 19620 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have your reloading set-up in a cold and humid room nothing will keep your dies from rusting.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
It's not cold or wet. Last week we got a lot of rain, and I left the window open. It has also been humid since we got all the rain, so that didn't help. Oh well, live and learn I guess

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A thin coating of RIG gun grease on the inside and outside of you dies prior to storage is the ticket. By the way, RIG is easily removable using a gun cleaning solvent (such as Hoppes #9).

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
If you have your reloading set-up in a cold and humid room nothing will keep your dies from rusting.

There is some truth to this. However if that is the only room you have what else can you do? I would suggest you clean your dies and oil them up and store them in a large plastic tub with a snap on lid. You may even want to throw in a bag of desicant . It can be thrown into the oven on low heat every few months to dry it out and will last a long time.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have to store your equipment in a humid environment, get a tub with a tight fitting lid, and put a box of mothballs in the bottom of the tub before you add your equipment. The active ingredient in mothballs will deter rust as it weathers away.

You can do the same thing by putting a single mothball in each die box...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The active ingredient that prevents rust is camphor.

quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
If you have to store your equipment in a humid environment, get a tub with a tight fitting lid, and put a box of mothballs in the bottom of the tub before you add your equipment. The active ingredient in mothballs will deter rust as it weathers away.

You can do the same thing by putting a single mothball in each die box...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.theruststore.com/Bu...ol-Wipes-P27C18.aspx

Best thing that I have ever found.

Otherwise, a cover for your press and the mothballs will work, or VCI canisters.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a light coat of EEZOX on rarely used dies, and I store the others in their boxes with a piece of VCI paper. Been good for 30+ years.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote