Find
Notify
Tools

Vibratory tumblers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

I have had two big Dillon vibratory tumblers. The motor in the first failed after a couple of years of not so hard use. They had changed their design. So they gave me a discount on a new one.

The new one has now died after moderate use for a number of years. Have a note into them asking for the cost of a new motor.

Had a much smaller Thumbler tumbler before and actually wore out the chamber. Motor never did die.

Anyone have a good product report on a larger tumbler that can take a lot of hard use?

Thanks!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, I have a Thumbler thumbler that I bought probably 30 years ago and it's still going.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny, I have a Thumbler thumbler that I bought probably 30 years ago and it's still going.

I bought one of the first midways. Still going strong 20+ years.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
quote:

Same here.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
craigster
one of us
Posted 16 January 2012 08:15 Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Same here.

I to have one from MIDWAY also. 15 years old still going

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tumbler makers buy motors from people who make motors, they can't control what they buy and we get what we get by luck of the draw. Most will replace defective motors if they fail in a short time but ...

You say the motor failed; how? I mean, did it actually fail? Or did a power wire break or did the oil in the bearings dry and seize the shaft? Both are common and easily repaired.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Motor not turning. Making Buzzing noise. Haven't checked to see if shaft spins. Will do that today.

Mike

--------------

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yup.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my big old dillon had the motor die. took it to a motor shop & the bearing were worn out the motor originally had sleeve bronze bearings & the shop installed ball bearings. haven't had any trouble since

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a note back from Dillon. As they have changed motors again ... I'd have to send back the tumbler for a motor replacement and they'd charge me $111 for it including return shipping.

I am not a believer in doing a dumb thing three times having already done it twice.

Will pull the specs on the motor and seek some help for a replacement or a repair. Should be able to adapt most mounts as I have a good lathe and a full sized milling machine.

What a crock!

Mike

--------------

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Huh,

Man that's bad luck. I've had the small tub Dillon since they came out with the "little" one, probably 15 years anyway. Still going strong. I've run mine for days at a time before (forgot it was running in the shop Roll Eyes). I don't think I've done anything special to mine. Load it and run it, a lot of times I'll run it over night, or start it in the morning when I leave for work and let it run all day so brass is ready when I get home.

The tumblers and the digital scales are I think the only things Dillon doesn't have a lifetime warranty on.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
For that you coupld get two of Midway's tumblers. My Midway 1292 has been going since 96 or so.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Midway that has become useless due to an apparently defective heat shut-off. It runs about two minutes then sits and cools for ten before spontaneously restarting. Takes way too long to clean brass at that rate.

I just picked up a replacement on sale from Harbor Freight and Tool. I don't think you gain any ground buying the more expensive models simply because the motor is about the only breakable part and it's going to be a cheap little Chinese job, anyway. Just buy the cheapest and toss it when it's done.

If you do happen to have access to a small motor supplier, then by all means pop a new one in, or as was pointed out, have the old one repaired with real bearings (assuming that's still cheaper than a whole new one.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Motor not turning. Making Buzzing noise. Haven't checked to see if shaft spins. Will do that today.

Okay, that probably means the oil has dried into a sticky goo and seized the shaft. All you should need to do is take the motor out and put a few drops of a good, slow drying, non-gumming oil on both bearings and let it run enough to get loosened up again. UNLESS you let it get too hot stalled and shorted some motor windings out.

I prefer Automatic Transmission Fluid for guns, fishing reels and tumbler motors. ATF is a near perfect lube for all of those and more.

I've found that buying a new motor from electical supply houses costs just as much as buying a new tumbler! So, IF you end up buying a new tumbler, I suggest a Berry's/Cabela's because the motors have ball bearings instead of bronze sleeve bearings. Well, so do Lyman's but they cost a lot more.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
For that you coupld get two of Midway's tumblers. My Midway 1292 has been going since 96 or so.

Mstarling

Sorry to hear about your back luck with those Dilions.

I agree with Sam and just ran my Midway 1292 this morning for about 6 hours with 250 .223 cases in it and they all look nice and shiny. I think I've had mine more than 10 years and run the dog out of it.

You might give the Midways a peek and see if it fits your needs.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mstarling:
Guys,

I have had two big Dillon vibratory tumblers. The motor in the first failed after a couple of years of not so hard use. They had changed their design. So they gave me a discount on a new one.

The new one has now died after moderate use for a number of years. Have a note into them asking for the cost of a new motor.

Had a much smaller Thumbler tumbler before and actually wore out the chamber. Motor never did die.

Anyone have a good product report on a larger tumbler that can take a lot of hard use?

Thanks!

I have a Model B that I bought new in 1976 and have used HEAVILY. Wet and Dry.
I used it for brass and when my kid was young, to polising stones. When you polish stones, it runs for a week at a time!

Well after 35 years, I finally had to replace the motor. It seized up. I never knew you were supposed to lube them, more than likely from my lack uf lubing it.

And they are quieter than most vibratory tumblers I've seen (heard).

One more thing.. for those of you looking for motors, try Graingers for the best price and availability.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using the larger black Lyman (2500 I think) as well as the smaller RCBS with a different mix. Both perform fine and have for three years.

I dont run really big batches into them and I think that if you dont load them to maximum, it helps. And if you dont turn it on and come back in a week it helps too. All of them can have some motor issues if you overload them, and run heavy and run them long.

How many? I guess that for full size rifle cases I am nomrally working with either 50 or a 100 but I am sure I have had at least 150 in the Lyman before. In the handgun or 223 then maybe 250-500 for a batch, so I probably split a batch if it is up around 500 or so. I would guess I have run 300 or so at a time at the most.

Then in the RCBS maybe 50 or so rifle and a couple of hundred or so at a time of the 38 or 223 size cases. For big cases 416 etc I am only working 50 or so at a time in either tumbler.

I believe when I was looking at mine I read a post here on AR where one of the guys was commercial style loading using the Lymans. And I read that the RCBS and the Hornady were the same unit, but from what I remember the Hornady got a lot better reviews at Midway. One reason the Lyman got poor rerviews was about the drain port. But I dont use it. I just throw them the in RCBS case media separator hopper. So who knows.

The Lyman is louder though and the RCBS just whispers. If it is set up in a room verus a shop that might affect your decision.

If mine went out I was thinking I was just going to get the Dillon LOL - but I know they had and may still have some motor issues too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote