New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x57 imp.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any reloading data for the 7x57 improved. Also, any advice on dies for this caliber.

Posts: 28 | Location: Kamiah, ID | Registered: 03 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7magman-

IIRC, P.O. Ackley's book has the 7x57Imp. maxing out at 53 grains of IMR4350. Max in most other reloading books, for 7x57 (standard), is between 49 and 50 grains of IMR 4350. When I loaded for 7x57Imp, I never tried any other powders; I always thought WW760 would be a good choice, also.

As for dies, I'd go with Redding. Sometimes, you can catch them on sale at Midway, or E-bay. You might even want to run an add here.

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will look up my info tonight and try to post tomorrow. H-414 is good, of late IMR 4064 has shown promise, IMR 4350 is good. RCBS can provide dies

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hiya
I've been shooting a 7x57 AI for about five years now and have compiled quite a bit of data from experimenting and range sessions.
The rifle was made by C. Donnelly who took over P.O. Ackley's tools and business, so the chamber dimensions are exact to P.O. Ackley's specs.
F.N. 98 Mouser action
22" barrel 1-9" twist.
There are going to be some differences in chamber dimensions depending on who did the work.
The dies I use are RCBS Group G 7x57AI 40deg and cost about $75.00. Donnelly had to shorten the sizer die just a little to make it right with my rifle.
The most consistently accurate loads I have discovered so far are with 160gr and 175gr bullets using H-450 powder. Unfortunately H-450 is no longer available but I do have a little left to make hunting loads. H-4831 works almost as well as H-450.
If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I'll share what I know.
Smiler

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked H450 in a lot of calibers, but haven't had any for years.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Ive considered investing in a 7X57 AI reamer and building one or two of them. If I did I would probably just use a set of Lee collet dies for a standard 7X57.

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Lee Tifft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 7magman:
Does anyone have any reloading data for the 7x57 improved. Also, any advice on dies for this caliber.

7magman;

I have been shooting a 7x57AI (40deg) a few years and have found WW760 and 140 Nosler AB's to be just the ticket in my rifle. Redding dies seem to work, and I doubt if you would notice a difference with RCBS. Good Luck
Lee

Posts: 20 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 30 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
120 gr Sierra spitzer try 48 gr H414 and work up (my max was 52 gr)
140 gr TSX try 47 gr H414 and work up (,y max was 51.5 gr), or 43 gr IMR 4064 (max was 47 gr), and try 44 gr IMR 3031 (max was 46 gr)

With remington brass

Posts: 100 | Location: Kenna, WV | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hve a friend with one of those in a #1. He likes Reloader 19 as I recall. Excellent cartridge IMO.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote