THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Copper fouling with a particular brand of bullets?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Copper fouling with a particular brand of bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone noticed a copper fouling problem more so with any particular brand of bullets, not including any Barnes'?(everybody knows they foul badly) I am wondering if the brand I'm shooting may be more prone to copper fouling than I am realizing.

"The right to bear arms" insures your right to freedom, free speech, religion, your choice of doctors, etc. ....etc. ....etc....
-----------------------------------one trillion seconds = 31,709 years-------------------

Posts: 1521 | Location: Just about anywhere in Texas | Registered: 26 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The copper fouling from Barnes bullets is generally exaggerated and usually related to a previous guilding metal fouling that was not removed before firing the pure copper Barnes

That being said the pure copper fouling is generally easier to remove than the guilding metal fouling from bullets other than Barnes.

I don't "mix" bullets in a particular barrel

Fouling? for the limited number of shots before a thorough cleaning it really isn't relevant to me

I tend to find one "happy load" for a particular rifle in accord with it's intended use, make a BUNCH of that exact load
then don't muck with it endlessly.

Fouling is what it is.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few friends have copper trouble with 6.5 cal Hornadys in their Swedes. That is the only specific issue that I have first hand knowledge of.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1620 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Swift Scirocco. Pure lead, pure copper. Fouls more than Barnes TSX/TTSX.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that Remington jackets look nicer because they are more pure Copper, and thus foul more than a harder alloy.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that remington brass has ever so slightly more copper than winchester brass.

this makes the rem brass slightly more yellow than the win brass and thus a touch softer.

there is the other side of the coin.

I have never had a piece of rem rifle brass crack at the neck.

I expect to start losing win brass (either 30-06 or 7mm Mag) to case neck splits whan pulled over the expander
after the fourth or fifth reloading.

because the win brass though thinner and offering slightly more capacity is also more brittle.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
I find that remington brass has ever so slightly more copper than winchester brass.

this makes the rem brass slightly more yellow than the win brass and thus a touch softer.

there is the other side of the coin.

I have never had a piece of rem rifle brass crack at the neck.

I expect to start losing win brass (either 30-06 or 7mm Mag) to case neck splits whan pulled over the expander
after the fourth or fifth reloading.

because the win brass though thinner and offering slightly more capacity is also more brittle.

AD

Interesting post Allan, but how does it apply to “Has anyone noticed a copper fouling problem more so with any particular brand of bullets”?

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
not including any Barnes'?(everybody knows they foul badly)

Afraid that's old news. The new Barnes TSX and others have several grooves cut around their circumference,the copper is deposited there rather than the barrel. They don't foul more than any other bullet and their accuracy is great.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting Barnes Xs since the late 90s and haven't had any fouling problems. I don't think any other bullets would make a big difference either. I think this has more to do with how I shoot rather than the type of bullets I shoot.

I don't target shoot with my hunting rifles so they don't get shot much. At most, maybe 15 rounds per session. When I do shoot, I clean the barrel completely free of copper when I'm done. Before the start of the hunting season, I fire a fouling shot, fire a 3 shot group to confirm my zero and hunt for the rest of the season. When the season is over I clean my barrel of all copper and the rifle sits in the gun cabinet til the following spring.

So, unless you're doing a lot of shooting or you have a particularly rough bore, I don't think it's even an issue for you. Of course as someone once said, "every barrel is a rule onto itself" and only you can determine if your barrel has a problem with excessive fouling or not.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote