Find
Notify
Tools

Reduced loads with H4895?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Hodgdon shows so-called youth loads, or managed recoil loads for rifles, using H4895 as the powder of choice. I have tried it to a limited degree. I have never reduced the charge to 60% of max as they recommend. The loads I have tested have been in the 75% of max range.

So far, I've had no troubles, but my tests have been very limited. One example that seems to be a success is that I have a 35 Whelen, built in a mil-surp Mauser action several years ago. I have shot hundreds of rounds through it testing to find an accurate load. It should shoot, but somehow I'm thinking the short barrel (19") has the harmonics messed up or something. The only loads that get consistant accuracy are very hot, (W748) and I simply don't like shooting them.

About two weeks ago, I finally got around to testing some reduced loads with H4895, and the Speer 220gr bullets. I haven't cronographed them yet, but I'm estimating that they are about the same as the 35 Remington velocity. Accuracy is excellent. So, it seems that I found the load for that troubelsome little carbine.

Has anyone had a similar experience with reduced charges of H4895?

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To finicky for my liking..

I prefer 4198 or SR 4759..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I shot quite a few reduced loads in my 35 whelan with 200 gr. speer bullets and 4895. the exact powder charge escapes me currently but they were about 35 rem. velocity or slightly less. 5 shot groups in my rifle were around 1 1/4".

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote