THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Bought a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt looking for a good dear load.

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt looking for a good dear load.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I bought a used Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt looking for a decent deer load between 850 & 900fps.
I will be picking it up tomorrow but I dont think it says New Vaquero.

Don't have to hotrod the Vaquero because I also have a .454 Raging Bull.

It is an Old Vaquero not the New Vaquero

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I have 3 old Vaqueros in 44Mag and 45Colt and My suggestion is to look at almost any of the faster burning powders to meet that objective. I've used Unique, Bullseye, Clays, Universal, HP-38 and Blue Dot with 240-255 grain slugs to reach around that same level of 850-950fps. Try some of the above if you already have it in your inventory and see which is the most accurate in your shooter. Most of those loadings are around 6-7.5 grains and a chronograph should put you in business.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
With 8-9gr of Unique & a 250grLSWC, you are good to go. I use these in mine, but I cast them, so not readily available. Big Grin

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
8.5 to 9.5 grains of UNIQUE is the 'classic' .45LC load with 250s. There are more modern, cleaner-burning powders, and I use BlueDot for higher-power loads, but a 'classic' revolver requires a classic load, IMO at least.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote