Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman Auto scale
 Login/Join

posted
I have been using several powder measures over the years, Belding & Mull, Hornady, Lee etc, and have been satisfied with them all. However, I noticed that for Match shooting, especially with cast bullet loads, such as 12 gr Red Dot, the variations in powder charges that I am getting are enough to substantially affect groups in Bench or prone shooting. I am considering an automatic powder scale, such as the Lyman autoscale, but I have had some bad luck with Lyman products lately. Can anyone give me any feedback on this product or recommend any others? Thanks,Joe S

Posts: 22 | Location: Badger State | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
joe: Welcome to accuratereloading.
I have been using an autoscale for about 5, 6 years and I like it a lot.
i have used it to load some flake powders with fair results, 3.5grains of bullseye for a 158gr 38special, also a herco load for 12ga, shotgun.
It has to be level and out of any moving air from a fan. have mine set at eye level easier to use with tri focals.
the speed is adjustable for the fine feed so that you can control overshoot.
i have noticed that mine will climb up a few tenths opf a grain so watch when loading max loads.
I load 49grains of imr 4350 for a 270 load and it usually hit at 49.3 49.4 compared on my digital scale. If I compare it on my RCBS scale they are the same.
some think they are slow but if you use a thrower with a trickler the autoscale is a little faster to me. i drop a few loads and while the scale is weighing the next charge I will seat the bullet this routein works well for me

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I noticed that the current Lyman autoscale has a digital scale instead of the balance beam, but the old ones are still available . Does anyone have any comments as to which would be better? I am inclined to think that you can at least tell if the balance beam is balanced, but if the digital scale is out of whack you might not notice the error . Thanks! Joe S

Posts: 22 | Location: Badger State | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote