THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler data for .358 225gr BT in Whelen?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Could someone who has the manual quote some data for this bullet in the 35 Whelen, especially for RE15.

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If looking for a tougher bullet , Barnes is now making the Triple shock in .35 cal/225 gr . The Hornaday 250 gr spire point ain't no slouch either. I'd rate it way tougher than the ballistic tip .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Manuals states that with a 225 grain pellet with RL15 that 52.5 grains is the minimum charge and that 56.5 grains is max. It has an asterik on the 52.5 grain load as the most accurate load tested for that powder.

The manual also states that IMR 4350 is the most accurate powder tested with the max load of 58.5 grains being the most accurate load tested with IMR 4350. The minimum charge with IMR 4350 is listed as 54.5 grains.

I personally have had excellent results using the Nosler best powder tested and best charge weight with several different calibers and bullet sizes within those calibers.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I have a few of the 225 BT's to try. I actually am doing this in hopes of a 225gr Accubond in the future for a leopard and plains game load with more long range potential than the 250 gr NorthForks I used last time.

Posts: 1525 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
KevinNY,

This is not from the book. It is above max in most reloading manuals, for .358 225 gr. Nosler BT's, I use 61.0 grains R-15 for 2675 fps. Overall cartridge length is 3.355" and I use R-P cases and CCI-200 primers. This load is completely safe in my rifle. Primers nice and round, and brass is reloaded many times without primer pocket problems of any sort.

That being said, please start your loads at least 5% lower and work form there. I recently obtained 3 shot group with this load of 0.227" and is by far the most accuurate load in my rifle. And the BT's are consistently the most accurate bullet in this rifle also. Just wish they were a bit tougher or Nosler would make the Accubond in this caliber and weight.

Good luck
BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
sdgunslinger,

Yes, I have heard that also concerning the Barnes bullet in triple shock. I look forward to getting some of thoose.

Actually my hunting load is 62.0 gr R-15 with the 225gr Barnes X. I have been hoarding these bullets for a year now and am almost out, so I am looking forward to the new offering.

That Barnes 225 grain bullet has been my plains game load for the last two hunts and am very pleased as a good all around bullet for light game and heavy up to eland. Though the largest I have taken with the 35 Whelen is a waterbuck, maybe in the 500-600 lb range.

BigBullet

Posts: 1224 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote