Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 tight chamber
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted
I have just reloaded some rounds for my new Tikka 25-06.
The cases were fl resized and trimmed and the bullets seated as per COL as per Hornady manual, and they have been double checked!!AOK
When cambering a round there is a bit of friction when closing the bolt.
It appears to be the same with a factory round!
Their is a slight mark on the cases on the shoulder of the case.
Is it that because it is new and not been fired yet or is it like a new bride? just needs a good shagging!!
Any thoughts?

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like you have a minimum chamber. (IMHO thats a good thing)
How does it close on a sized empty ? (making sure that your not feeling the bullet jamming into the lands)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Dale>
posted
It sound like the same trouble I have with a very early Ruger M77 in 6mm Rem. The chamber is a little short, and the standard dies will not size the case enough to chamber easily, even with the die touching the shellholder. The best remedy is to trim a little off the base of the die in a lathe. An easier, but less satisfactory, solution is to file down the shellholder. I say less satisfactory because I pulled the case through the top of a shellholder when I got it too thin. The short chamber is not a problem once you have the die modified to fit the chamber - my rifle shoots great and the cases last a long time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice tight chamber. I would fire a factory round, then use a marking pen to color the whole neck, run it into your sizing die and see where the marks stop. I used to use a little dab of RCBS case lube on the shoulder and back off the die a bit, run the case in and see if the lube was squished out. That told me the point where the shoulder contacted the case. I use Stoney gauges now, it's much easier.

I've also found a difference in the amount of sizing in different brands of dies, so you might just try another sizer die.

Usually the problem is TOO much sizing. What you have is what we all strive to get. The less you have to squash the brass the longer it will last.

I have a new Rem Sendero 25-06 and 4 different brand sizer dies, neck and FL, they all size to a different point, just a few thou. My Redding Bushing neck sizer fits the best and an 35 year old RCBS FL sets the shoulder back the most.

Let us know how it turns out.

Makatak

one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
It sounds to me like you have a minimum chamber. (IMHO thats a good thing)
How does it close on a sized empty ? (making sure that your not feeling the bullet jamming into the lands)

Does the same on fl sized empty case!

Posts: 217 | Location: Christchurch,New Zealand | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of milosmate
posted Hide Post
I fl resized some more cases in my Hollywood press and set it up so it really camed over, Made a little bit of difference.
So I did the same in my RCBS rock-chucker and set it up again so it camed over,much better but still a small bit of friction closing the bolt.
Guess it MUST be a tight chamber, will trim the die or the shell holder.

Well I guess a tight chamber is like a tight pussy, hard to come by!!!