Find
Notify
Tools

Unburnt powder exiting the barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Asked by a friend if unburnt powder can exit a barrel and accumulate on a range floor. I told him yes as I've seen it in the barrels of most of my pistols while cleaning them.
Whaddya think?? Am I correct?

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Yep,

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the load and powder you will get a lot of zombies which are partially burned grains.

Unroll some plastic and fire a 44 Mag loaded with 2400 over it.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your timing could not be better. Have him turn to pages 62 & 63 in "your" Sep08 NRA American Hunter and take a look.

On page 63 is what appears to be a Handgun Bullet to me(though the article is about Rifle Bullets? bewildered) flying along with a string of Clear Air Turbulence(CAT) trailing along behind it.

Now, back on page 62, at about 1 o'clock from where it says Field "Editor" is a small "Round Object" which also has CAT following along indicating to me that it is moving in the same direction as the Bullet, at nearly the same speed and not just a stationary Black Dot in the flick.

What would you and your buddy think that small Round Object happens to be?
-----

You can also suggest that he talk to a Coroner in a city which has a good bit of drug fights involving revolvers/pistols at a relatively close distance or a good number of suicides. Ask the Coroner if he ever finds unburned Gun Powder near an Entrance Hole.
-----

Is this completely out-of-touch with Reality Government Agency in the USA Government? nilly

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Great answers. Exactly what I was looking for.

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Yes you are correct. Many years ago when shooting in an indoor range just north of NYC, the booth caught fire from the unburned powder which had accumulated over the year. Ruined a good target, but was handled well by those present!

Hot core is refering to the powder tattooing from GSW's and their residue.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
My uncle was an armourer in Egypt during WWII. He told me of how they used to sweep up the unburned or partially burned powder from in front of the 50 Browning machine guns. So, yes.

I used to get unburned powder in my 44 mag barrel if I did not load it up hot enough. My gun had a heavy hammer and so did not need to be too hot to burn clean but some folks found it necessary to use magnum primers to get clean burning.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 1994, in northern Italy, a policeman (Carabiniere) died and several were injured due to a blast and fire in an indoor range. The accident was caused by the accumulation of unburned powder exiting the barrel.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Yes it does, and it doesn't just happen in handguns.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 308Sako:
..Hot core is refering to the powder tattooing from GSW's and their residue.
Hey 308Sako, Thank you. Didn't know they used the term "tattooing", but it fits.
----

By the way old4x4, I was thinking more about the question last night and would say "it depends on the Load". Some light Target Loads do seem to consume all the Powder for me. But as I get into the Bambi-Blaster Loads, using the slower Powders, then I do see some Powder Particles.

So, yes it can happen, but it depends on the Load. The Government Agency that would ask such a question should be completely shut-down and that bunch of deadbeats tossed out.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildboar:
In 1994, in northern Italy, a policeman (Carabiniere) died and several were injured due to a blast and fire in an indoor range. The accident was caused by the accumulation of unburned powder exiting the barrel.

We had a similar accident on a poistol shooting range here some years ago. Unfortunately this seems to happen on indoor ranges, several shooter died, if I remember well because of suffocation.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Yes, you are correct. You also have just provided yourself with a rsponse to use when some self-ordained "ballistics expert" starts telling you the muzzle flash you see at the end of a barrel in the twilight or later can't include burning powder...he'll say something like "All the powder burns in the first 1-to-3" of the barrel ahead of the cartridge case." Yeh, right!!

stir

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Government Agency that would ask such a question should be completely shut-down and that bunch of deadbeats tossed out.

Best of luck to you.

It's not a branch that really ever deals with this kind of thing. I'd get reamed if I went into any more details...really

Charles Bronson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe you and understand. If you can tell them what "I said" without getting yourself in a pile of clinton, feel free to do so. thumb