THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure if this is the right forum, but...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been wanting to hunt nilgai in my home state of TX for several years. I have a 35 Whelen that is up to the task, but recently came upon some original 300-grain .358" Barnes bullets, from back when the company was still called Colorado Bullets. These things are supposedly a pure lead core with a .049" jacket.

I know all about the X bullet and its variations, but I refuse to believe a nilgai is all that hard to get a bullet into far enough to do real damage. My question is this: would you use them on nilgai or not, and if not, why not?

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to use that bullet on anything under a thousand pounds.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I rolled one at full gallop with my Whelen and the 250 Speer. Just saw rear legs flying in the air as it tumbled at the shot.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My question is this. What is the twist rate of your rifle's barrel? If you're shooting a stock Remington M700 or Ruger M77, the twist rate will be 1 in 16" which is way too slow to stabilize those bullets. If your gun is a custon, it may have a 1 in 14" or 1 in 12" twist or maybe even a 1 in 10" twist. Then again it might be a 1 in 16" twist as well. My thoughts are if a 1 in 14" twistm aybe but marginal and preferably a 12" or 10" would be the way to go. I hear Kimber and Nosler are making a few rifles in the Whelen but I don't know what twist rate. Not even sure where one could find load data. All I have for heavier bullets is for the 275 gr. Hornady RN which they discontinued back in, IIRC 1965 or so.
My choice for Nilgai would be the 225 gr. Barnes TSC over (work up to it very carefully) 60.4 gr. of RL15. That load shoots three bullets into .50 to .75" depending on how well I'm shooting on any particular day and velocity is right at 2710 FPS. I hvaen't shot a Nilgai but I know for sure that load really hammers elk.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pure custom, with a 1 in 12" twist. I wasn't worried about stabilizing the bullet, I was worried about penetration, as all I have ever read and heard regarding nilgai is that their hide is particularly thick...

I have some of the Barnes 225-grain TSX bullets, and they shoot well. I just thought it might be kind of cool to shoot a big game animal with what might be somewhat of an "old school" projectile.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
. I just thought it might be kind of cool to shoot a big game animal with what might be somewhat of an "old school" projectile.

tu2Through the sixties I used Fred's "old school" projectiles with nary a failure on game to the size of elk. If memory serves correctly the lightest bullet was a 6.5 156gr psp.
The bullet you're talking about in the 35 Wehlen should be a near perfect match for that big nilgai. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Barnes would be able to give you a headstart on data if you need it. They have always been incredibly helpful whenever i email with questions.

Curtis

Posts: 706 | Location: Between Heaven and Hell | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the first Barnes reloading manual. I am working in Nebraska now and all my stuff is in Texas, but if memory serves the manual has load data for the Whelen, and it includes data for the "Barnes Originals"...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless:

The Hodgdon manual #26 (1992) has 35 Whelen data for 300 gr. bullets with a bakers dozen powders. Velocities run from about 2100 to 2260 fps with a 24" barrel. BL-C(2) and RL 15 were the velocity champs, with W748 a close runner up.

Cheers, Al

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Al, I have an eight-lb jug of BLC-2 sitting back in Texas, and I think I have that Hodgdon manual as well. Thanks for the tip!