Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Seating in the 300 Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted
I've been loading for my M99-R for about three years now, always using the same Hornady 165gr flat-based Interlock and RL-15. I can load out to 2.612" and still chamber rounds fine. I keep 165 BTSP on hand for my Ishy 2A but never loaded the BT's in the Savage.

I have heard all the warnings about not using BT's in the M99 because of the bullet shank getting into the powder room. During my last loading session I ran out of the 165 flat-based bullets. I had 15 prepped cases, powder and all sitting there ready to go. I figured what the heck and loaded the rest up with the 165gr BT Interlock. There was no powder compression, I could hear powder in the case moving.

I went to the gravel pits to plink a bit and generally goof off. To my surprise the BT rounds did much better in the Savage than the flat-based bullets. Golf balls at 200 yards were no problem. The flat-based bullets did so-so.

So what is the big deal with the bullet shank getting into the powder room?

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Some people worry about it all of the time but unless you are loading to 100% density and 100% pressure limit, it's no problem.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12706 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So what is the big deal with the bullet shank getting into the powder room?

It's really not a problem. The .300 Savage has a very short neck but I've seen BT bullets up to 180gr. loaded with no problems.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't reload a great deal for my Savege 99EG in 300 Savage, but I do reload Hornady 165 flat base and BT for it-and have for a while.

The 300 Savage to me has the same "tunnel vision" historical expertise as the 220 Swift. By that, I mean there seems to be oft-quoted "rules" about these two cartridges that seem to be "golden." They just don't make sense to me.

I think it comes from years of Gun Digest printing the same information in the cartridge review section for 25 years, and having a generation of shooters use this info as gospel.

The 220 swift has been called a "difficult cartridge to reload", "sudden jumps of pressure can be seen" "not for the inexperienced reloader" etc. Most of the problems seen with pressure in the 220 Swift were due (likely) to not trimming the brass back. Why is that any different than any other case? Don't know-but that was the "rule." Makes no sense.

The 300 Savage suffers from the same repeated wife tale that "its short neck is difficult to reload." Why is that? Never had a problem with it. It's no different than any other case I have reloaded. It shouldn't make a bit of difference for boat tails. It actually may make LESS of a difference in the 300 Savage, as they neck IS shorter. The BT has less contact surface with the case (compared to flat base of equal weight). Is the 165 gr BT held any firmer or less by a 300 Savage neck as compared to a 308 win or 30-06 neck? No, because the contact between BT bullet side and case neck is more dependant on the bullet surface than the case neck. As long as the case neck is long enough to contact the part of the BT bullet's side, it's the same contact lentgh for any 30 cal neck.

As for the 'base of the bullet below the neck' issue-I don't see why that makes ANY difference for a jacketed bullet. If there is too much powder in the case, then yes there will be some "crunching" going on. But that is no different if a flat base jacketed bullet was seated in a case (any case) with "a lot of powder." (creating a compressed load).

There is a concern for seating the base of a cast bullet with a gas check below the base of the neck. The gas check (particularly Lyman made, as they just slip on without a holding crimp. The Hornady gas checks tend to crimp themselves on during sizing/seating). The problem with the gas checks below the case/shoulder junction is that the GC could came off. It could either impact the accuracy, possibly raise pressure as it becomes "foreign ejecta" during firing, and it can permit gas cutting on the base/sides of the unprotected (no gas check)cast bullet.

Getting back to the 300 Savage and boat tails, I think it is part of the "wives tales' of some so-called armchair expert of the 1950's who said something. Everyone had to believe him (who ever it was, I'm not naming names as I don't know), or they (the reader) would not be be considered " reloading smart." This of course would lower the person's testosterone level, and make him "unmanly" at the shooting range and deer camp. "If John T Amber and Gun Digest says its true, then I don't want to go against him, blah blah blah." Hey, guess what? News flash! The earth is not flat! Big discovery made by actually doing some investigation on the subject.

Repeating the rules of experts without investigation is not the way science and research works. Anyone want to see how we have altered describing the atom in diagrams in the last 100+ years?

Shoot the boat tails or flat base as you see fit-just practice normal safe reloading techniques-as you would for any cartridge. Nothing mysterious to me about the 300 Savage except for the people who "know all about it" but have never reloaded for it.