Notify
Tools

45-70
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of wazza56
posted
Hi Guys
Haveing just aquired a marlin 45-70 what are sugestions for projectiles for the likes of Australian buff etc

Cheers
Wazza

keep your barrell clean and your powder dry

Posts: 383 | Location: NW West Australia / Onepoto NZ | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I heard they insist on solid copper premiums like Barnes, etc. In the Marlin you won't be able to use the pointed ones; I don't know if anyone makes a premium, flat or round nose; anyway, you want a 350 or 400 grainer. If you can use a standard bullet, the 350 Hornady or 400 Speer are good. Not factory level bullets; they are too soft and will want to use max Marlin pressure level loads. 350 speers are rather tough but you need to file off the tip for them to feed in the Marlin; I use those for bear.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of CTI1USNRET
posted Hide Post

Posts: 69 | Location: The Monadnocks | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I forgot about hard cast "solids". And CEB makes some brass solids and expanders, for lever actions too. Those are very high priced though, for me. I am not sure how hard the buffs down there are to kill but I have killed two Bison with 1/20 lead alloy over black powder. Went all the way through them and killed them very well.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote