Notify
Tools

Handloads 358 STA?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all, Looking for data on the 358 STA and 280gr AFrames. Thanks
randy...

Posts: 39 | Location: swamp east missouri | Registered: 04 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy ----- I have loaded many rounds for the 280 grain A-Frame and 270 grain North Fork bullets. My load is 90 grains of RL-22 with the Federal 215M primer. Speeds are 2850 fps up to 3000 fps depending on the rifle. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2362 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, this is a max load right? BOOM

Posts: 39 | Location: swamp east missouri | Registered: 04 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy ----- Correct, that is max load for both my rifles. When I started loading I looked at the Nosler Book and A-Square Book and went from there. I also had an article by Layne Simpson who with Kenny Jarrett built the first Shooting Times Alaskan, that was invaluable. Good luck and good shootig.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever use Retumbo for heavy bullets in .358 STA?

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rflshtr ----- I have used ever powder manufactured that might be seem usable for the STA or listed in any of the manuals and RL-22 outshines all others by a longshot, in my rifles. Both do one hole groups when I do my part, I can't ask for more. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As soon as my rifle gets back from Kampfeld Custom it will get loaded up with RL22! phurley5 Thanks agen...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
phurley5 what is the build of your STA?
Mine is Rem700 SS with a 26" Shilen barrel, GAP Mcmillan stock. Talley L/W's mounts, Leupold 2.5-8x36 scope...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy ----- I got real lucky on both of my .358 STA's. I had a close encounter with 4 Brown Bears when I took my 91/2 ft. Bear. I used a .300 Win mag with 200 grain Nosler Partitions and it served me well. The .300 felt like a Pee Shooter in my hands during that encounter therefore I swore when I returned to Big Brown country I would pack something bigger. I then took a .340 Wby on a Moose hunt, consider it very adequate but was still casting my eyes for that perfect Bear rifle. I then stumbled on the first of my STA's. I got an excellent buy on a Winchester Model 70 pre 64 style rifle with brake from the Winchester Custom Shop. It is stainless steel with drop dead wood a 4.5 X 14 Leoupold Vari X-III Scope. I started shooting it and in a few months ran across another Custom built STA on Gunsamerica and got another real bargain. It was a post 64 Model 70 Winchester action with stainless steel Lilja custom barrel with brake and an absolute georgeous thumb hole stock. It was built by a gunsmith in Wyoming for his son and a real piece of art. The rifle also killed my fingers when I shot it and I put on a all weather stock that fit me much better. It also has a matching Leupold 4.5 X 14 Vari X-III scope with AO. The reason I bought the second rifle is I have a son and grandson who Elk hunt with me and five other grandsons, a grandaughter and great grandson in the wings. I figured some of them would like a special rifle someday. The Lilja barrel shoots all size bullets 50 to 150 fps faster than the Winchester barrel. My son killed two Elk wirh one shot with it a few years ago. He shot a nice 5 X 5 Bull through both shoulders at 125 yards on a snowy Colorado mountainside (the only Elk in his view) and upon close inspection he discovered a bedded down Cow 25 yards beyond the Bull, she seemed to be asleep with her head on a foot and eyes open. Closer inspection found a spot of blood on the side of her head. Long story short, we dressed and tagged (he had a Bull and Cow tag) them and the next day he dug a 270 grain North Fork bullet out of her head that retained 86%of it's original weight. That bullet was loaded to 2950 fps. ------ I am sold on the .358 STA and it's capabilities and since getting mine I have taken it to Alaska, Alberta and Africa, as well as packing it in Colorado yearly for Elk. I consider it superior too the .375 H&H, not only because of speed but the choice of bullets run from 185 grain up to 310 grains. Good luck and good shooting with yours.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
phurley5, Sounds like two damn fine rifles! I cant wate to go brown bear hunting with mine.. When I do I will post pics... dancing