Find
Notify
Tools

POWDERS FOR 35 WHEELEN AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents,

I just received my 35Wheelen AI from the smith. really excited to see how she shoots. Stiller Predator action, Jewell trigger, Hart 1/14 barrel in a McMillian Hunter stock.

I loaded up 50 rounds to fireform w. BLC2. What powders work well with the 35W AI??????

Anyone try RL17? I've heard Varget works well. Please let me know what you all think.

thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I should add that I'm really only looking (for now!) to shoot 225 and 250gr boooolits... flame

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use imr-3031 and RL-15 for my whelen.
It should work in the ai.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
incidentally you are probably going to find load date hard to find. i ended up going back to ackleys book which advised 5% increase over a standard whelen. that worked just right for me

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted Hide Post
H-380 works very well in my 35 Whelen imp. 5/8" @100 yards.

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you check here?
http://www.reloadersnest.com/f...age.asp?CaliberID=76

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Mine is still be made, but when it arrives I am heading straight for BigGame and R-15 in that order.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine likes RL-15 with 250 bullets, good accuracy and 2675 fps chrono velocity from a 22" bbl.

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I would think Varget would be nice in a +5% case. It's nice in the Whelen. AA-2015 is too but might be a bit fast for the AI case. TAC is nice as well in the Whelen and should be in the AI version too.
Let us know how it works out!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'm going to try some BLC2 and Varget with 250gr Speer Core Locks initially while I wait for some RL15 to try. I may even give some RL17 a shot to see what goes.

Excuse the ignorance, but why would'nt a slower burning powder work well? I ask because IMR4350 and RL25 (pretty damn slow burning) works very well in my 30-06AI.....Yes I understand we're talking 30 cal as opposed to big boy 35cal....but that much of a difference?

Good one STEVE wave

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BISCUT:
...I'm really only looking (for now!) to shoot 225 and 250gr boooolits ... flame

When it's spelled that way, folks think you're speaking of cast lead. Is that what you meant?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Biscut,
layman answer: The expansion Ratio of the 35 demands a faster burning powder because; as the bullet goes up the barrel, the volume available for the gas to burn in, the area of the barrel behind the bullet, expands at a greater rate than the 30 caliber.
4350 will work behind a 275 or heavier bullet in the Whelen but is still not optimal.
You will be happy in the BLC2 and Varget range of powders.
dmw

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fury. Excellent description! I now understand why!

dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great accuracy with IMR 4064, haven't tried RE 15 yet but have heard many get excellent accuracy and speed.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 15 is the answer in mine, nothing else is with-in 50 fps, even when they show higher pressure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RL 15 was ordered and should be in by the end of next week. We shall see!!!!!!! I have my 50 fireformed cases all prepped and primered up, ready to go.

Going to try the 225gr AB first!