New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler's E bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We don't seem to hear much on this particular thread about Nosler's E (solid) Bullet like we do about Barnes and other makers.

Wonder why that is.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot a few so far, but the seem to shoot fine in my Ruger #1 in 9.3x62.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've only tried a couple in 22, 264 and 375 calibers and they just didn't shoot as accurately in my guns as Barnes bullets did.

It was a lot easier to find accurate loads with the Barnes.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
They look good on paper.

I wonder why they do not shoot so well??

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Theoretically they should have an equal accuracy potential as both brands are monos.

But, in all the ones that I tried: the first loads with the Barnes would be submoa - 1.5" and the same weight E tips would shoot 2-3" groups.

I started adjusting powder charges, then seating depths and got most E-Tip groups down to near MOA but I burned a lot of powder doing so.

At the same time, I could try 2-3 loads with the Barnes bullets and be less than MOA every time.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the possibilities are there but it just takes a bit more time and powder to realize them. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
finding them on a shelf in a local shop would be pretty helpful too.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used E-tips in 277 and 308 cal. I found them to be much fussier that Barnes TSX or TTSX bullets . I had to adjust the seating depth with the E-tips to get the groups down. I have found the Barnes bullets to be much more forgiving. I've got the 130 gr E-tips shooting around an inch in a 270 WSM. The same rifle shoots the TSX bullet into 5/8 inch @ 100. I have played with the 168 gr in 30 cal in a 30-06, 308 Norma and a 300 Win. Best groups I've got so far are in the 1 1/2 to 2 inch @ 100 yds. I also have some 150 gr E-tips I want to try in a 308. I haven't tried those yet.........don't need more frustration in my life right now.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Very interesting.

In practically all our loading, we never bother about seating depth.

We always load to the maximum allowed for that cartridge - unless the bullet is very light.

In which case we load a full caliber inside the case.

And unless the rifle is inherently inaccurate, we got very good results.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68796 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
Theoretically they should have an equal accuracy potential as both brands are monos.

But, in all the ones that I tried: the first loads with the Barnes would be submoa - 1.5" and the same weight E tips would shoot 2-3" groups.

I started adjusting powder charges, then seating depths and got most E-Tip groups down to near MOA but I burned a lot of powder doing so.

At the same time, I could try 2-3 loads with the Barnes bullets and be less than MOA every time.

That was my experience also.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately for me I'm fine if the bullets hit a few inches from where I am aiming in a hunting rifle, and I don't take long long shots, so maybe I will give them a try because I like the idea of a no lead bullet.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Fortunately for me I'm fine if the bullets hit a few inches from where I am aiming in a hunting rifle, and I don't take long long shots, so maybe I will give them a try because I like the idea of a no lead bullet.

Lindy, try the Barnes first, it will save you a lot of time and powder.

Frank